running extremely rich - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
running extremely rich

I have an early 99 F-350 that I have had about a year, It has over 316k on it. It has a 60 hp superchip(not happy with it). New Injectors, icp sensor, a lot of work.

Question, the truck is running extremely rich, the fuel pressure is running at 50 p.s.i. the high pressure oil is at 450 ish at idle and about 1250 ish at full throttle. I am trying to find out the variables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Are you sure your high pressure oil is only at 1250 during wot? It is supposed to be 2600+.

What injectors do you have? Your early 99 stock HPOP cannot really handle much above your origional stock injectors.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

I put in stock replacement injectors from Alliant, new AB's. I just had the test today and the highest was 1300 on the hpop. could the super chip interfere with the hpop's function?

Basic principal is (my thoughts) that the higher the oil pressure and the fuel pressure the better the fuel spray is for better combustion.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

I read in one of the forums that the hpop can be affected by the wrong tuner? that was why I was wonder what the specs were for the hpop and the fuel pressure.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Which Superchips is it? Some are just an ICP resistor fooler and that might be giving a bad reading.
Fuel should preferably be 60+ also, but 50+ is acceptable.
Why do you say running "rich?"
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Yea, youre not running rich. You're not providing enough fuel. Need to get your fuel pressure up and oil pressure of the HPOP to a decent level.

Remove the superchip prior to all testing and leave off until you solve your problem. you'll find the problems still there once removed, which will show it has nothing to do with the superchips. You will need to get hooked up to a scanner and check for codes.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

I had the shop reflash the pcm and add the updates, that is when they told me #3 was weak and 8 was iffy, and according to the guy who did the test after said hpop gave same numbers and He said that those were normal. That prompted me to go to ford to get the exact specs. and that is where I found the spec for fuel pressure should be 45-60 and hpop 600-3000 so I passed in fuel pressure but massively failed in hpop. I knodid order a fpr rebuild kit as well as the terminator modified 17* hpop which I hope the hpop will arrive today.

I will let you know what superchip it is
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglehawk View Post
I had the shop reflash the pcm and add the updates, that is when they told me #3 was weak and 8 was iffy, and according to the guy who did the test after said hpop gave same numbers and He said that those were normal. That prompted me to go to ford to get the exact specs. and that is where I found the spec for fuel pressure should be 45-60 and hpop 600-3000 so I passed in fuel pressure but massively failed in hpop. I knodid order a fpr rebuild kit as well as the terminator modified 17* hpop which I hope the hpop will arrive today.

I will let you know what superchip it is
Amazes me that ford doesn't know their own ghost codes. The evaluation of 3 and 8 proves that. Leave that shop. Don't go back.

The new CPS from ford causes the exact issue you've been told is a problem. New injectors won't fix it. Tell them that you want to know the the exact cyl contribution scores and you won't pay them unless they can make 3 and 8 a value less than .5.

Your hpop needs to be higher than 2200 psi at wot. 2600 is much much better. Your number is less than 2200.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM

Having specifically the #3 and #8 injector showing an improper function almost always comes from the CPS. Its too bad the infamous "Black" CPS sensor has been sold out everywhere or that is what I would recommend in order to correct that issue.

I also agree with audiocontr, do not go back to that shop, as it seems that they know to little about HEUI injection systems.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM

I just had to change out the "infamous black cps".....Back to the recall (gray) cps last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.