Dead batteries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead batteries

My truck wont start batteries are dead, not a huge problem for me to fix but i do have some questions about it. i have a charger i had my girlfriend put it on the truck (i cant because i deployed) and it isnt wanting to take the charge. she has been starting it about every 2 weeks and letting it run.
One of my chiefs out here told me that his 6.0l alternator doesnt kick in til 1200 rpm.... is this the same for the 7.3? because one of the tunes on my chip is a 1200rpm idle tune. would that be enough to bring the battery back up if a friend of mine was able to get it started? or should i just have my girlfriend drive it to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The alt kicks in at a lower RPM, but since the glow plugs run for 1-2 minutes, it's not gonna do anything until after they cycle off. The alt is a bad way to maintain a charge on a stored vehicle anyway. If the charger isn't trickling a charge into the batteries properly, a new charger would be in order. Ideally, your GF should get two of those little low-amp trickle chargers, disconnect both batteries, and keep each battery on its own trickle charge. Cheaper than replacing the batteries, and ultimately cheaper than starting the truck all the time just to charge the batteries. 'Course, _driving_ the truck every now and then (like, once a month) would be a good thing too, to keep the tires from flat-spotting, etc.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Your chief doesnt know what he is talking about. The alternator may not peak until 1200 rpms but it sure as hell functions at idle.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

i bought a set of battery tenders on amazon and they are in the mail im gonna have my girlfriend put them on when they get there and just plug them in for me...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Most battery minders can handle more than one battery. I would only hook up one to your batteries. They might fight each other and not keep your batteries topped off properly as one might fool the other into thinking the battery was up to charge. If you you use two battery tenders you should disconnect the batteries so that they are not connected together in parallel.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coot1 View Post
Most battery minders can handle more than one battery. I would only hook up one to your batteries. They might fight each other and not keep your batteries topped off properly as one might fool the other into thinking the battery was up to charge. If you you use two battery tenders you should disconnect the batteries so that they are not connected together in parallel.
Exactly. Only use two battery tenders if the batteries are disconnected from each other.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Oh, I just figured that went without saying. I do remember reading somewhere that charging batteries in parallel is not a good idea. 'Course, the alternator does that all day. Maybe that admonition only applied to dry cells.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:50 AM

It's fine to charge batteries in parallel. You can even use multiple chargers to recharge dead batteries but once they get up to charge you should just use one minder when trying to maintain them at full charge.

Last edited by coot1; 04-21-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A shop that sells only batteries and chargers told me both batteries get charged up at the same time with the tender as the batteries are in parallel. They told me if I used a tender on each battery then each tender would see the voltage from the other tender and assume the battery is fully charged or close to it. If the batteries are real low they said it's ok to use two tenders but when the batteries get closer to being fully charged only use one tender.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 AM

I did say "disconnect both batteries".... And if the batteries are "real low", you'd want to use more of a medium-level charger (6A or so) rather than a minder/tender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.