Boost gauge off? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Boost gauge off?

Ok I have and e99 and have a mechanical boost gauge and the one on my edge, which is pluged into my OBDII. My mechanical boost gauge seems to work great and shows boost way up in the 20's and at the same time the edge only shows boost at 11psi, or it just stops at that psi. So my Q is, what is worng with the OBDII sensor and what other systems are being thrown off? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Seems like you have a leak at the map sensor, or a bad map sensor. They should be VERY close in numbers, especially if you tapped into the MAP line for yur boost gauge
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought a new Map today and got a fuel filter as well. I towed my 21' toy hauler which weighs 4500 LBS and I only got around 10mpg while driving 55. I have a 6 speed manuel, 411 gears, 4x4 with and Edge at Tow safe and 4" turbo back exhause, so I think that is way low
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could be fuel pressure, up pipes, boost leak, bad injectors, bad o-rings, all sorts of stuff.

I tried everything short of new injectors and found very little impact on my fuel mileage. I finally replaced them with a set of used stage 1s and had an immediate improvement on mileage.

Have you reset your PCM after replacing the bad map sensor? Do the boost numbers now match?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so I put in the new MAP and filter. Took it for a spin and...... I only have 10 lbs of boost on my edge, but my mechanical gauge goes past 20 psi. So as I'm thinking of getting my gun and licking the business end like a loli pop I took another look see. No leaks in the tube, so I turned my attention to the wiring and BAM! I found this hobos *** pig tail splice on one of the wires, a green one I think. I traced the splice and it ran directly to ground. I unplugged the little bugger and holly crap I have a new truck. So WTF was the lame but that had this truck before me trying to do? I think I know the answer, but should I get better then 10mpg towing my toyhauler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.