Troubleshooting glow plug stuff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Troubleshooting glow plug stuff

Well I am still working on getting this truck started and I started troubleshooting the glow plug stuff...I tested the relay yesterday and it seemed to work fine. I followed the following instructions to test the glow plug stuff..

To check Glow Plugs.
Remove the electrical connector on the inboard side of valve cover at the gasket. Press down on the top of the connector latch and pry gently with a screwdriver. Photo of disconnecting one and another Photo of it loose.
There will be 9 pins on the valve cover gasket where you removed the connector. The two pins furthest forward and the two pins furthest back are for your glow plugs.
With your multimeter set to resistance (ohms) and low range (single digits) if not autoranging, clip the negative (black) lead to a good ground point.
Probe each of the 4 outer pins individually with the positive (red) lead, noting the resistance. Good glow plugs will have a resistance between 0.6 and 2 ohms. If you get infinite resistance on any glow plug, that one is either bad or the connector under the valve cover has come loose.

this info was from this link to give credit where i got it from...
Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

so i went and did the resistance tests and here are my results

passenger side
starting at connector towards the radiator ending at connector on the firewall side.

.6 ohms
49.57m ohms
42.60m ohms
open loop

driver side
starting at connector towards the radiator ending at connector on the firewall side.

open loop
63.9k ohms
open loop

Well houston we have a problem...i called the guy i bought it from and he said he bought the glow plugs from O'Reillys back in july...he said replaced the glow plugs but not the harness...

I have not popped the covers yet...it is windy here today and dont want to get crap under them...

would you replace just the harness or glow plugs and harness...what be your thoughts?

thanks gangs for any insite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which GP brand did he use? If they were anything but MotorCraft (Beru) I'd replace them. Others have been known to have the tip swell and stick/break off in the head upon the next removal.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ok...i further troubleshot the glow plugs and found this out. I pull the electrical plugs off the glow plugs and did the ohm test there...from ground to the top of the glow plug i found the readings to be the same as from the outer plug. so it seems the glow plugs are junk...found a new set of 8 and ordered them...two did test good but made sense to replace all 8 at the same time. so we are getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.