Parking brake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Parking brake

Hello,

My truck got a new parking brake and parking brake pedal because the pedal got bended by pushing it too hard.

I get the idea that the parking brake starts to bite too soon. By that I mean that I think that I should be able to push the pedal deeper before the brake starts to do its work.

Because it starts to brake so soon, I think that's the reason why the 1st pedal got bended, because ... don't know how to say, but ... the pedal didn't get over its weak point before tension came onto it. (do you know what I mean by that?)

When I release the parking brake, it's really released completely, so it doesn't keep braking once released.

Is it possible to release some of the tension in the cable so the pedal can be pushed a bit deeper before engaging completely?

Thanks,
Mark

ps At the shop they told me it was normal, but I do have to say that they have very little experience with powerstrokes, so I don't completely trust them... The problem is that I can't go anywhere else since the 1st expert lives about 3400 miles from here.

EDIT: I've just measured how deep I can push the pedal without forcing it and that's only 2.5 inches. What I've also noticed is that when the parking brake is released, I can pull the cable and see something moving under the pedal. I assume that's an automatic cable tensioner? Could it be that my cable tensioner is already at the far end of its adjustment while it should be at the front end of the adjustment range with new parking brakes?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Mark_be; 03-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Not a lot of succes.

I'll ask something else: when should the cable tensioner under the parking brake pedal regulate the most while releasing the parking brake? With new brakes or with worn brakes? I try to visualize it, but I don't even have a clue.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How far you can push your parking brake pedal depends on how the parking brakes are adjusted at each rear wheel before they grab. This is done by adjusting the star wheel for each rear wheel. As they wear the pedal will have to be pushed farther and farther down until you get all the way to the floor and they still don't grab enough. Then you need to adjust them again. 2 inches of travel doesn't sound bad for freshly adjusted brakes.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 PM

how

how do you adjust them?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot1 View Post
How far you can push your parking brake pedal depends on how the parking brakes are adjusted at each rear wheel before they grab.
So if I understand correctly, there is no automatic tensioner? I thought there was, because there's a spring behind the pedal that releases a gearwheel when the parking brake is in the released position.

If that's not an automatic tensioner, what is it then?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there is a little drum brake setup inside the rotor for the disc brake and it adjusts just like the drum brakes of old. Turn the star wheel until just before the shoe touches the drum.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFTLTS View Post
there is a little drum brake setup inside the rotor for the disc brake and it adjusts just like the drum brakes of old. Turn the star wheel until just before the shoe touches the drum.
If you want to be lazy like i was, i didnt remove the wheel , Crawl under the rear axle , right under the axle tube going into the backing plate, there is a rubber plug, remove that and you will see the star/adjuster , turning it one way will increase pressure, and of course the other direction will derease pressure of the shoes on the rotor... Hope this helps

This is on the backside of both rear wheels, adjust equally..
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here are some pics....

Parking brake-superduty-parking-brake.jpg

Parking brake-parking-brake-2.jpg

Parking brake-parking-brake-3.jpg
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 AM

in the picture, correct me if I am wrong but it looks like its the same concept as doing drum brakes..... that is how you would adjust it with a flat head screw driver, or am i missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.