Truck wont start-really need help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Truck wont start-really need help!

Ive got a 2002 f-350 powerstroke. It will start just fine when it is warm out but when it gets cold out it will not start. It will just sit there and turn over acting like it wants to start and have white smoke coming out the exhaust. I took it to the local diesel shop to have them take a look at it and they told me that the oil cooler is leaking and that is what is causing the problem. Its got new injectors, new glow plugs and new glow plug relays in it. He told me it will cost $400 for the repair and parts. What do you guys think? You think that could be the problem and is that a good price? Im supposed to tell him in the morning whether or not to do it so please respond with your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the oil cooler having a leak wont effect it starting easy on warm days, and hard on cold days. Think about what an oil cooler does. takes hot oil from the engine, and has two small fuel lines that go through it. The hot oil heats up the fuel for easier igniting, and the cold fuel cools down the oil. When starting the truck, the oil isn't hot and thus has no effect in the fuels ignition. Are you sure he said oil cooler, and not HPOP (high pressure oil pump)?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

But to answer your original question, $400 is actually a pretty fair price, seeing how a typical 7.3 cooler runs about $250, so paying 150 for making it their problem is fair.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I understand it sounded a little funny to me. I just dont understand what the issue could be then, i have been reading a ton of threads and everything they said that would cause it i have replaced.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure seven point three knows what he is talking about, maybe he miss read something in your post. The oil cooler does not have fuel lines running thru it! I have removed my oil cooler to fix a oil leak, this is a common problem. Again, mine was leaking oil on the ground. The oil cooler has antifreeze running thru it to cool the oil. That's all it does. There are two o rings on each end of the cooler and one gasket on each end where it mounts to the engine block. If yours is leaking you don't need a new oil cooler, you only need a repair kit. Go to dieselorings.com and you will find them there. You can do it yourself. Pretty easy if you are mechanically inclined a little bit. If your oil cooler is leaking antifreeze within the cooler, you would have oil and antifreeze mixing. Don't know a thing about this as to rather it would keep your engine from running. I can see how the cold could make it leak. When it's cold, metal contracts and orings contract and if they are wore out, they will leak. I have had fuel leaks and oil leaks that were worse on cold days than on warm days. If you do have a leak, it needs fixing. Start with that, if it don't solve your problem, it needed fixed anyway. Would I pay $500 for that, no. The oil cooler oring kit is $70.00 and it took me two hours to perform. $250 would be a fair price.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks codum for the input. any ideas on what could be causing it too act like that?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Did they tell you how they determined the oil cooler was leaking? How cold is it when it's not starting?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no they didnt, i dont think they are trying to screw me they are well known around here and ive taken all my vehicles to them and never had them try and screw me before. its been about 35-40 degrees around here and thats when it wont start. when it was seventy out the other day it started like it was no problem
Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM

So if it's warm it runs fine? Have you plugged up the block heater when cold? Does it start fine after being plugged up for 3 hours?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya if its warm it starts up no problem. i havnt plugged in the block heater, where i leave my truck parked i cant plug it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
oil cooler, wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.