Abs problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Abs problems

My truck is an 01 F250 7.3PSD. A few weeks ago the abs light started kinda fading in and out and then stay on for a while the go away then come back then fade again. At first I thought it was simply a ground issue. I inspected all the wires and connectors I could see, even check the wires to ground looking for shorts, didn't find anything wrong.

Then last week the infamous Speedo signal stopped and o/d light would flash and the abs light stayed on constant. After reading a bunch on here I decided it must be the rear speed sensor. So I pulled it inspected the tone ring while I had it out through the hole and it looked good, the sensor ohm'd out ok, I did note metal shavings on the sensor but they went bad at all. I replaced the sensor anyway, what's 13 bucks if it might fix it.

Sure enough the symptoms didn't disappear. So after more reading on here, this past weekend I changed the rear diff oil. And that fixed everything. Then on my test drive about 20 min in the abs light started coming on the Speedo and o/d light worked normal.

So it's fixed- ish, or so I thought. Today on my way home from work the Speedo stopped and o/d light came back flashing.

Sorry for the long post but I'm so frustrated with this thing and really could use some help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Andy

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Rear abs sensor. My abs light goes on sometimes I was told to replace that sensor it's on top of the rear diff

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM

I am having ABS issues too. Mine just came on though. I took it to FORD to get scanned and they got the code for the rear speed sensor and they replaced that but the ABS light stayed on and they couldn't communicate with my ABS module so they said my ABS module is bad and its a 545 dollar part Looking for a cheaper one online, have you had your ABS scanned?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My cousin has a scan computer and it reads abs, but it gave me the can not communicate also. So I was assuming the abs module was bad but don't have 500 bucks to replace it. And would be super pissed if it doesn't work

Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Yeah that's why i am holding off.
So you replaced your Rear Speed Control Sensor and your abs light is still on?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah after I replaced the sensor my light was still on. My scanner couldn't communicate either. So I disconnected the batteries for 15 min or so. And that turned the light off. Everything worked great for about 20 miles, then every symptom I had returned. So I'm leaning to the module.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Did your scanner communicate before you replaced the sensor?

I am actually getting no symptoms, truck drives and brakes normally just my abs light is on.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

O don't know if it did or not. When the light came on, it would not communicate. I never scanned the abs before so I don't know that its not the scanner, but I know I have typical symptoms of a rear vss but after replacing that and it didn't fix it I'm leaning to the control module as that's the only other thing in common with all symptoms.

As far as your light being on are replacing the rear vss, did you disconnect the neg battery cables for 10 min or so to reset the computer and the light should turn off. The module tends to store codes even after the problem is fixed.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 AM

I don't know if this helps but I do think the speedo signal comes from the OSS on top of the trans. Don't hold me to that though, but you might want to inspect that wiring and maybe test/replace that sensor.
Front one (on left) is the TSS and the rear one (on right) is the OSS.

Hope this helps some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.