de-fuel flooded cylinders? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
de-fuel flooded cylinders?

my batteries are starting to get old and if i don't drive my truck for a few days they'll lose their charge. about 50% of the time i can get it to crank over anyway, but on occasion i'll have to hook it up to the battery charger for a bit and try again. the problem is after cranking and fueling the engine, sometimes it won't start even after the batteries have been juiced up and it bogs down while cranking like its flooded. my old Ramcharger's TBI 360 you could defuel the cylinders in the event of a flood by cranking it over with the accelerator floored. is there anything like that for the 7.3? as of now i've been using a quick burst of starting fluid to get it over the hump but i'd really like to not have to do that for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 PM

nothing, eh?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

There's nothing like that that I am aware of on our trucks. Not saying there isn't, but I haven't heard of it.
-Aaron
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Quit Iraq, got a house in Tooele, Ut, Back in a big wrecker playing in traffic!
might want to unhook the glow plug relay before you put ether into it! (unless you like the uncle fester look)

personally, I do NOT like to use ether at all. causes more problems than it cures.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colotow View Post
might want to unhook the glow plug relay before you put ether into it! (unless you like the uncle fester look)

personally, I do NOT like to use ether at all. causes more problems than it cures.
i know its a bad idea, that's why i'm trying to figure this out. i'm not using a lot, just a quick burst on the filter, but i agree, i'd rather not touch the stuff at all. its definitely the last resort. i've got a buddy that used it in lieu of fixing his glow plugs and now we think he may have fried his piston rings.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

I know this might sound a bit silly, but could be a starter going bad. I know of at least two 7.3 trucks (one being mine) that had the starter fail in a similar fashion. It would act like a dead battery almost and crank slow, but most of the time crank fine. Eventually the ratio of cranking fine to slow got worse and I ended up replacing the starter. It was at this point that I realized my original starter NEVER cranked as fast as the new one since I had owned the truck. Sometimes as the starter slows down it isn't really noticeable until you get one that cranks like it is supposed to. Just another idea to look at, otherwise....I would say get some new batteries. Cheaper than replacing the rings or worse from the ether.
-Aaron
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
I know this might sound a bit silly, but could be a starter going bad. I know of at least two 7.3 trucks (one being mine) that had the starter fail in a similar fashion. It would act like a dead battery almost and crank slow, but most of the time crank fine. Eventually the ratio of cranking fine to slow got worse and I ended up replacing the starter. It was at this point that I realized my original starter NEVER cranked as fast as the new one since I had owned the truck. Sometimes as the starter slows down it isn't really noticeable until you get one that cranks like it is supposed to. Just another idea to look at, otherwise....I would say get some new batteries. Cheaper than replacing the rings or worse from the ether.
-Aaron
yeah new batteries is the ultimate answer. i was more just curious about a possible protocol for defueling cylinders, but there my not be one. i hadn't considered the starter. do you have a good source on them or did you just grab one from the local parts store?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just had your same problem a few months back and it was my starter. I went with a starter from napa bc its american made.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

I just grabbed one from O'Reilly's. Didn't have a HUGE choice in the matter....Stopped in to have them check out the batteries/starter/alternator due to the issues it was having and the truck decided that it was DONE and wouldn't turn over anymore. Lol. Installed it in the parking lot.
-Aaron
Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM

oh damn! good to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.