HELP...2001 7.3 starts but runs terrible... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
aluminum tubing engineer
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP...2001 7.3 starts but runs terrible...

had this thing for 7 years now, put almost 100k miles on her, never been an issue other than tires and batteries.

went out to start 2 days ago and she fires, but idles TERRIBLE with almost zero throttle response.

CPS was done about 2 years ago(?) under the recall.

did an oil change just in case, checked HPOP level, and its about an inch down...still ran like crap.

had to go to work, so i took the car. came back after, started her up and all was normal!

got excited, drove for about 4 blocks and she started stumbling, spurting, and stalling.

on the way home she cleared up for a very breif moment...about 4 seconds she ran GREAT, but went right back to crap mode

as she sits now, will turn over and fire up, but shakes something terrible, no smoke...and worst of all, no codes!

open to any ideas since local ford wants 200 dollars just to look at her

Last edited by wingnut; 03-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 11,211
Thanks: 8
Thanked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does it act like it's running on half the cylinders?

I ask because about 3 weeks ago, mine was running fine, then ran like crap, very little throttle response and I noticed that my EGT gauge dropped to 100*. I have a Hypertech programmer and I ran codes. It told me that the IDM (Injector Driver Module) had codes. Took it to the shop - turned out to be the driver's side UVCH (Under valve cover harness). They replaced - all is good.

My UVCH ohm'd out bad, but they also said one of the issues is that it sometimes is the plug under the valve cover that connects the UVCH with the harness outside the valve cover separates making it run rough.

Have you been able to run codes????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM
aluminum tubing engineer
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Does it act like it's running on half the cylinders?

I ask because about 3 weeks ago, mine was running fine, then ran like crap, very little throttle response and I noticed that my EGT gauge dropped to 100*. I have a Hypertech programmer and I ran codes. It told me that the IDM (Injector Driver Module) had codes. Took it to the shop - turned out to be the driver's side UVCH (Under valve cover harness). They replaced - all is good.

My UVCH ohm'd out bad, but they also said one of the issues is that it sometimes is the plug under the valve cover that connects the UVCH with the harness outside the valve cover separates making it run rough.

Have you been able to run codes????
i would guess its similar to running on half cylinders, but thats merely a guess.

i did not look at the EGT when coming back...

...and tried code check twice, with no codes found either time.

the only warning light is the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light which only comes on when its running.

once i shut her off, i get no warning light and my checker wont do anything but key-on-engine-off tests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 11,211
Thanks: 8
Thanked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hmmm. That's interesting about the SES light going out and no codes stored. My Hypertech is the same way, only KOEO testing.

Did a search in the search box under the PowerStroke.org logo at the top of the page, here's a link to one of them. Not saying it is your problem, but maybe a place to start???
UVCH??? Maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
aluminum tubing engineer
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Hmmm. That's interesting about the SES light going out and no codes stored. My Hypertech is the same way, only KOEO testing.

Did a search in the search box under the PowerStroke.org logo at the top of the page, here's a link to one of them. Not saying it is your problem, but maybe a place to start???
UVCH??? Maybe?
yea, i did some poking around on that thread as well as NCHornets, but im not getting a dam code to pinpoint with so im not sure what direction to go...

...considering pulling the drivers side valve cover to see if i can do the zip tie and clear it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 11,211
Thanks: 8
Thanked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good luck with that.

If for some reason, you can't figure it out and you need a shop, I can recommend Orangevale Diesel. They did the work on my truck. They are just east of Hazel on Greenback Lane. You can find them on the internet. Not sure what part of town you're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eatonton, Lake Oconee
Posts: 563
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are sure it's not a fuel issue, pump going bad, fuel filter dirty, trash in tank clogging pick up tube. I have had fuel issues twice, once a pump, once trash in tank, both times it acted the way your describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-19-2012, 03:37 PM
aluminum tubing engineer
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
If for some reason, you can't figure it out and you need a shop, I can recommend Orangevale Diesel.
i may just give em a call and see if they can suggest anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
Are sure it's not a fuel issue, pump going bad, fuel filter dirty, trash in tank clogging pick up tube. I have had fuel issues twice, once a pump, once trash in tank, both times it acted the way your describing.
...yea, fuel has been on the brain but im not sure how to track that one down since she has 1/2 a tank?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eatonton, Lake Oconee
Posts: 563
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long since the last fuel filter change? If its been over 30k I would start with that. If not, you need to get the fuel pressure checked, you can do it your self with a couple parts or pay to get it done, my local dealer charged me $45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
aluminum tubing engineer
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
How long since the last fuel filter change? If its been over 30k I would start with that. If not, you need to get the fuel pressure checked, you can do it your self with a couple parts or pay to get it done, my local dealer charged me $45.
just sent the wife to get a new one, the one time she fired up and ran was right after i pulled the filter to make sure the bowl had fuel in it...

...it did have fuel, but of course goo'd all over at reinstall, so im gonna try a quick swap!

Last edited by wingnut; 03-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors