a/c question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a/c question

My a/c hasn't been working lately, so I've been adding freon all the time. Then, the clutch wouldn't engage, so I put a jumper on the low pressure switch(clutch engage switch) it would stay engaged. It still wouldn't engage itself, but If I tapped it with a wrench, it would stay engaged. So I bought a new switch, and a better refill kit (with a guage). I put the new switch on, still wouldn't engage, or stay engaged when I tapped it. I put the guage on it, and it pegged it. Way too much. I leaked it out until it was 55lbs. Now it blows cold and stays engaged. It still won't engage itself. What triggers the clutch to engage? Any ideas?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Have you checked the relays?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Don't know which ones or where they are.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
ummm.... ^^^^ am I missing something here???

Artic.. see if ya can post up a thread relating to the drag link and you should get loooots more answers

and also post an intro thread so everyone can say howdy!

As for the A/C -- do you have a short in a wire or the harness from the low pressure switch to the harness that when you tap it it engages?? Had this happen on my car - had to replace the harness plug...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:38 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

The relay should be in the power distribution box, but I'm not sure which one it is.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:01 PM

I ment when I tapped the front of the clutch, not the switch, sorry for the confusion. I'll look through the manual and try to find the relay.

thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello, new here but i have had this problem and i can tell you exactly what it is.I done everything you have already done and none of it worked. .There is a big magnet on the front of the compressor that actually pulls the clutch in to engage,thats why when you tap it,it engages but want engage on its on.The magnet apparently get weaker over time and just will not keep the clutch engaged.What i did was bought a used compressor for that had low miles for about 90 bucks(lifetime warranty also) and when it came in i took the clutch assembly off it and put it on mine,it fixed the problem immediately plus now i have a backup compreesor if it ever fails.Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 PM

I agree, it's the pull in coil on your compressor clutch that is hooped...seen those exact symptoms many times and its always the compressor clutch. I agree, you should try find a good used compressor and it should work ok for you as a new one is very expensive.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

One thing that you might try is removing the shim from behind the clutch on the compressor. I had the same problem that you are describing. Mine would run great and all the sudden just start blowing warm. I found that the tolerance was WAY out. If you pull the clutch off the front of the compressor, you should find a washer. The tolerance should be between .35-.75 mm or (.014-.030 in). I found that it is very easy to read the feeler gauge wrong! So, make sure you double check which gauge you are using. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be more than happy to go out and pull stuff off the truck to take pics and show it. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.