Intermittent no start 7.3 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent no start 7.3 PSD

Hi, I have a 2002 F250 7.3PSD bone stock with 86K miles on it of which I put 36K. Recently made a trip from Texas to Colorado and three times had a problem starting the truck. 1st time I refueled at Walmart and the started up and pulled across the parking lot and went in to shop, about 30 min later tried to start truck, turns over like a champ, no smoke noted, all dash gauges normal, no start, took about 15 minutes before I could get it to start and then it runs normal. 2nd time two days later spent the night in Limon Colorado next morning drove about 5 miles to Flying J fueled up, hit the key same as before turns over fine no start, after about 15 minutes of off and on trying I opened the hood to check fuel bowl, everything looked good got back in truck it fired right up ran great as usual. Got to destination same day ( Mar 1st) and since then have had a oil and filter change plus fuel filter change, this morning, two weeks since last episode, drove 10 miles to McDonalds, got ate breakfast took about 20 minutes, tried to start truck same as other two times,after about 15 minutes opened the hood fuel bowl full, sat there with hood open a few minutes hit the key fired right up. It is currently at the Ford dealer and their game plan is to keep starting it in hopes that the situation will repeat its self, I don't think that will happen as the problem is to random. Anyone had a problem like this that they solved and can offer suggestions it would be appreciated.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM

I Had intermittent Problems on My 2001 of it just Dying out of the Blue but would start back up and run for Days or weeks before it woud do it again. Never a problem Starting but this could happen while I was Stopped at a Lgiht or Driving down the Interstate. It was a Bad Cam Position Sensor. It is a Good Idea to keep one Handy So I bought one first to try and if that wasn't the Problem then I would have it as a Spare anyway. Changed it out and that was the problem. That's where I would Start.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Trackman, that's one of the things I was thinking of.

Bill
Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
did u ever figure out problem? im having the same thing happen..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Try the Cam Position Sensor First. Hard to Diagnose when it is Intermittent.
Good Idea to cary a spare with you anyway.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckGirl
I agree with everyone else...have had this happen twice, and carry a spare in the Ex now. Its a fairly inexpensive part that will leave you sitting on the side of the road when it decides to finally quit.

Just an FYI, Ford recalled the 7.3s for this reason-check with your Ford house, they may do the repair for free.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same problem 3-4 yrs ago......... everything looks good, but no go.....crank but no fire..... occasionally for a few weeks, sometimes twice a day, sometimes every other day........ then it starts dying.....maybe will restart in 15 mins, maybe 4 hrs..... cam position sensor, replaced.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Donald and anyone else reading about my problem. My problem had gotten more frequent and the last straw was it failing to start after sitting in the garage for 3 hours. I bit the bullet and had the IPR valve replaced, that was about 3 weeks ago and have not had a problem since. I noticed one thing, prior to replacing the valve I had a engine noise which sounded like a rattle that increased with speed, if it had of been a gas engine I would have said noisy lifters, anyway since replacing the IPR valve the noise is gone and the engine seems a lot quieter and seems to accelerate smoother, don't have any idea if they were related or not .
So far I am a happy camper but my wallet is almost $500 lighter.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM

With either very low or very high ICP the injectors can rattle. Are you using any oil or oil addative that has "lubricity enhancers' in them? These enhancers are teflon and will plug up the ICR. If you are using anything, change to the Lucas Oil Stabalizer.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No additives in the oil, I get my oil changes at and they put their brand of oil in.

But at this time I do not have any problems with noise or intermittent starting, since replacing the IPR valve it's has been trouble free.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.