Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

rebuilt 7.3 not starting no oil pressure HPOP not staying filled

26K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  scagmanf350 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 f450, pulled out the motor due to hole in #8 piston, put in a '99 long block. Double checked all wiring connections, all hose connections, filled head galleys, filled HPOP. Cranks fine, no oil pressure building, HPOP drains into crank case after every attempt to start. no smoke when cranking. no leaks anywhere. i have cranked 30-40 times at about 1 minute each time. when i reinstalled the HPOP, i used the same type of gasket that came out of it with the screen. :dunno:

please help me to get this started :confused:

#5 ·
Double check to make sure you tightened the nut under the front cover of the hpop above the water pump properly. I have had this issue, after I scratched my head a few days I checked it and it was loose. I know I tightened it but it was loose.

#7 ·
He said the hpop resivoir drains after every attempt to start, the fact that it drains means it is getting oil pumped into it from the low pressure oil pump. I am not sure how he knows this unless he has opened the resivoir plug while cranking. If not I would, open the plug while cranking and see if oil starts to run out, if so its not the low pressure oil pump.

#8 ·
The antidrain back check ball is in the block on the later trucks.
On the left side of the very front of the block just below the head block joint.
If memory serves correct, its a largish allen socket plug, assembly goes, plug, spring, check ball.

#10 ·
my truck dose the same changed the lpop no difference i've pulled the anti drainback ball a few times but what im wondering now is if its supposed to seat on an o ring in the hole it looks like theres a shoulder for one im scared to try it in case it gets sucked in deeper somewhere

#11 ·
i have an '03 7.3 that drains the reservoir over the course of a few days of not being started.

does anyone have a picture or diagram of the anti drain back ball and bolt location? i can't find it or any info anywhere on it.

i can't find any external leaks so it must be internal...

#12 · (Edited)
man i wish there could be an easy fix someone would tell me about this has been going on for like four years on my truck the anti drainback ball is located right behind the reservoir on the right side of the fuel filter its a 3/8's extension like a rear end filler plug i might try a dieselsite.com high volume low pressure pump they say it can leak down past it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.