Vibration while turning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration while turning

'03 F250...I'm getting a vibration/stutter while making at turn from a stop or low speeds. It only does it while turning and seems to go away once the wheel is straight or I give it more throttle. Also only does it when the truck is warmed up and has been driven 20 min or so. PS and tranny fluid are full.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Check your Front Axle U-Joints out at the Hub Pivot Point.
Research My Threads for a Full Description of how to Diagnose.
Just a Guess but Easy to Check.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 AM

The u-joints seem to be ok. It only does it when the truck is warm and been driven for 30 min or so. Am I on the right track thinking it's the power steerring pump or hydroboost? If the problem was in the suspension wouldn't it do it all the time cold or hot?
Also I flushed out the PS and filled with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF - no change.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your rear diff fluid, u might need some friction modifier

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM

zrain25 has a Good Idea on the Diff Fluid.

On my U-Joints Mine did not do it very often.
It all depended on How the U-Joint lined up as I drove.

How High are your Miles? Wheel bearing maybe?
I have 203,000 Miles and the Wheel bearings were still good but I changed Them anyway since I had to tear apart for the U-Joints. Sucks Having to replace the Whole Hub for the bearings.

Does the Vibration Feel like the Front Axle is Locked into 4x4? Maybe the Vacuum Valve is Stuck.

Just throwing out Ideas.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM

The truck has 126000 miles on it. I just bought it about a month ago. I have not used the 4wd. The vibration is hard to explain, but the whole truck shakes. As soon as the wheel is straight it goes away, and only at low speeds.
Any way to check the vacuum valve?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Just rip the tubes off the hub and kink them and forget about it. I hate auto hubs half the time the dont work and allways have people chasing vacuum leaks from cracked tubing. Kink the line one you get it off the hub.

I pulled the lines going to the hubs and kinked it the source.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 AM

Yeah the Vacuum Hubs are good when they work but a Pain when the trucks get older. I had a Line Crack and had to relplace it and the Lock out. The Line Cracked at the hub sometime during the Summer. Since Mine is a Crew Cab Dually I don't really need 4x4 alot even in winter. Water got down in the Hub and took out the Lockout as well.

If a Line is cracked you should be Loosing Vacuum and Not have the Hubs Locking in. You might even start to see issues with your heater vents not operating correctly because of the Loss of Vacuum(But only in 4x4 if the Crack is after the Valve). If for some reason the Vacuum Valve is stuck or broken in some way that Vacuum is applied to the Hubs and the Lines are in good working order the Hubs could be engaged. Now since your Not using 4x4 all is well but if they are locked in when you don't want them thats a different story especially on Dry asphalt. Understand I am Just grasping at Straws Here.

Get the truck warmed up to where the Probelm is Happening. Put the Truck up on Jack Stands, Nice and Solid, to get Both Front wheels off the Ground. Start the Engine and leave it in Park. Do NOT engage the 4x4. If you rotate each front wheel the you should NOT see the Front Axle U-Joints turn at the Hubs. If you do then that Hub is Locked. If both wheels turn the U-joints then it sounds Like the Vacuum to the Hubs is on and engaging the Lock outs. If only one wheel turns the U-Joint then Maybe one of the Hubs is Manually Locked in. Again just grasping at Straws.

I have heard of Issues in the Sway bar and Steering Stabilizer Shock Absorber but I haven't had any of those issues so don't know what to tell you if those could be you Issue.

I did have a Tire Crack along the Tread, Still Lots of tread on the tire, and I got a Bulge in the Tire. Didn't notice until I seen the Bulge in a Parking Lot while returning to my truck.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Jacked it up today after work and both front wheels spin free from the u-joints. I guess I'll change the rear diff next.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM

My truck had a very little rear end studder when I'm on a hill going very slow and turning. Like when I'm at the top of the drive way waiting for the garage door to open and when I pull in it stuffers a little. Even after my rear diff fluid change. I also have to grease my slip yoke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.