No start. So confused. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No start. So confused.

Truck started fine this morning, drove to town. Killed it. Started back up fine, did this 2 or 3 times, went to fill up then it started running rough. Got about 1/8 mile (thinking it was air in lines since I was almost empty) and it died. Checked fuses, reset switch, but not getting fuel. Bit the bullet and got a new fuel pump. Its installed and no leaks, but still no start. Checked the cps, wait to start light comes on. Its not even blowing white smoke like its done any other time running out of fuel. Im stumped and pissed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now?

Pump runs? (can you "feel" it running for the first 15sec after you roll-on the key)

Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Sorry, meant to mention I don't have the factory fuel bowl. But I opened the valve on my fuel/water separator and fuel barely even dripped from it.

Im going to have it towed home this afternoon and I'll drop the tank to see if something is obstructing the pickup foot. Sucks cause I just filled it up.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You may have gotten air in the line before your fuel pump. I've ran my truck out of fuel and had to prime the pump. I just un-hooked the fuel line going into the pump on the fuel rail. Ran a line from the pump into a water bottle full of fuel. Make sure to cut the cap so you could just shove the line through to create a little bit of pressure as you turn the key on squeeze the bottle to prime the pump. As the pump takes over and begins to drain the bottle shot the key back off. Re-install the fuel line and the fuel pump should pick the fuel up from the tank.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that too. Odd that it would happen after fueling though.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Turns out I had air in my lines somehow. Weird though cause I didn't actually run out of fuel? guess it just happened to get low enough that when filling it, an air bubble got caught in my lines somewhere. But I took an old radiator hose and slipped it over the fuel fill hole and blew into it with the line to my pump disconnected. Got fuel flowing through there, hooked my line back up and blew into it again. Cycled the pump a few times and she fired right up.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
Turns out I had air in my lines somehow. Weird though cause I didn't actually run out of fuel? guess it just happened to get low enough that when filling it, an air bubble got caught in my lines somewhere. But I took an old radiator hose and slipped it over the fuel fill hole and blew into it with the line to my pump disconnected. Got fuel flowing through there, hooked my line back up and blew into it again. Cycled the pump a few times and she fired right up.
OR, it had nothing to do with "air" and what you actually did was to clear a blockage in the screens in the tank....

The pump should self prime pretty easily and not care about air in there....

You might have this return again if you've got "goop" in the tank
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
OR, it had nothing to do with "air" and what you actually did was to clear a blockage in the screens in the tank....

The pump should self prime pretty easily and not care about air in there....

You might have this return again if you've got "goop" in the tank
Hope not :/ I can't easily drop my tank cause of the 30 something gallons in it right now and removing the bed is going to be almost as big of a PITA. So hopefully it wont do anything else.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM

When I dropped my tank, I simply connected a Jumper Pak (12v) to the pump leads and used the pump to empty it into 5gal cans. It pumped it Dry and I was surprised to find less than a qt. of fuel left in the tank when I opened it
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Been driving most of the day and drove great. Except for one incident when I was idling in the parking lot. It started a rough idle and cackled really bad like it did when it was about to die the other day. But then cleared up. Got home and discovered a loose hose clamp on top of my fuel tank. Guessing it was sucking air cause I tightened it up and has yet to do anything else out of the ordinary. When I have a chance I'll probably drain the tank and drop it to clean it good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.