Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

issues with TS chip

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ttyR2 
#1 ·
heres whats happening sometimes the truck runs great with chip working and sometimes its like the chip is not connected ( just stock like it isnt making connection ) the first couple times it did it i took it out cleaned the terminals and put it back here lately i have found if i shut the truck off and start it back up it works fine what do i need to look for? thanks

#3 ·
Pretty much all you can do is make sure the terminals are clean and making good contact and make sure the wire lead to the switch is plugged in as it should be. Send it back if those are all good.

#4 ·
Is the chip tight on the contacts? The clearances are very very small and if you cleaned the board on the PCM too much the chip wont fit tight enough. Might try a bit of duct tape around the case to hold it in tight. Be careful, if it vibrates loose, they have been known to fry the chip and PCM.

#5 ·
its tight on the contacts, taped in, i cut a notch out so the cord wasnt pinched sounds like you guys are leaning towards the chip itself thats kinda what i thought as its a few years old but didnt want to buy a new chip then have a computer problem thanks for the replies guess i have an excuse for a new DP or PHP :thumb:

#6 ·
They should send a free replacement if it is the chip...not that it's not a good excuse to get something different just saying if you don't want to really spend at the time.
-Phil

#8 ·
mine did this when it didnt make good contact

and FYI... PHP uses a TS chip with their tunes on it

#9 ·
Even if you didn't buy from PHP, head to their forum, look under the Phoenix sub forum, and look at the "J3" topic at the beginning. When I installed my Phenix chip, I retained the contacts on one side of the board which brought the total thickness to exactly .063" which is what it should be for best contact. It's not required, but it helps avoid problems later. You need to be really good with a soldering iron though, so if you don't know how to do that sort of work, find someone who does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.