UVCH??? Maybe? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry UVCH??? Maybe?

Ok, so about a year ago, the engine light came on, and said that the #8 GP was showing a fault. So, being in Florida, I've ignored this. It's now gotten worse, She was chugging, so I went back to autozone, with their free computer, and had them check. This time 5 codes. GP's 8, 6, 4, 2 show a fault, and the 5th thing was misfire.

Few years ago, I had pressure washed under the hood, and she wouldn't run at all. $400 later at the dealer, they fixed the wiring for the UVCH. I'm thinking either their "fix" done came undone, or I need to do the gasket/UCVH.

If I have to take the cover off, should I also do the GP's while in there?

Anything else I should look at/consider instead?

I'm about to make a move back up north, so I need to get this fixed quickly for the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM

The uvch works itself loose over time its a common problem do the 50 cent mod to the uvch and while your in there you might as well change the plugs.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz big red View Post
The uvch works itself loose over time its a common problem do the 50 cent mod to the uvch and while your in there you might as well change the plugs.

Care to enlighten me? 50 cent mod?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The UVCH has a cheesy plastic clip that holds it in place. Over time this clip works it's way loose and the connector starts to pull apart. The 50 cent mod is where you take a quarter, grind down one edge of it, then slide it under the harness clip to keep it from backing out. you need 2 quarters to do both sides, hence the "50 cent mod". I don't use quarters, I just run 2 small zip ties under the clips. It will make sense when you pull the valve covers and look at the UVCH.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
The UVCH has a cheesy plastic clip that holds it in place. Over time this clip works it's way loose and the connector starts to pull apart. The 50 cent mod is where you take a quarter, grind down one edge of it, then slide it under the harness clip to keep it from backing out. you need 2 quarters to do both sides, hence the "50 cent mod". I don't use quarters, I just run 2 small zip ties under the clips. It will make sense when you pull the valve covers and look at the UVCH.
Looking at the front of the motor, the even number GP's are on the right, correct? How much of a job is it? Never done it, and tq specs? What do I need besides a basic tool set?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Even side is the driver side. It's really not that bad. Getting the back bolts out of the valve cover is a little of a pain, but should be possible without fancy tools.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM

My valve covers had a slight leak anyways, I should probably just replace the dang thing while in there. I have a serious oil leak too, and it's not the pan. (coming from back of motor, but valley is dry) So maybe I'll find that while in there.

Hope your around in the morning, because I'll be tackling it then. I may have questions. LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post

Just curious how are those zip ties holding up so far sounds like a better idea than the 50 cent mod. If I ever have that problem I would probably do the zip ties rather than the quarters if its stronger.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 AM

I was just looking cause I couldn't sleep. Could it be the IDM? The #8 GP went out after going through a puddle...How can I test, or is it just a change and see part?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Man, that rear bolt for the valve cover is a freakin b!tch!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.