4x4 won't disengage from 4 low - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 won't disengage from 4 low

Ok so here is the deal, I went mudding last night... Nothing serious but did get my truck extremely muddy. I was fixing to leave my buddies house and I couldn't get my truck to disengage from 4low... I made sure my hubs were in the unlock position and my switch in the truck on 2 high... I tried everything I could think of... I put it in reverse... I tried neutral and switching it... I have no clue... anyone have any opinion? I know it's still in 4 low due to the fact I romped on it and could feel all 4 spinning in the dirt and I could only do 30 mph...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You don't have to unlock the hubs for it to go into 2 wheel drive either. Put it in neutral and see what it does. if it doesn't go back into 4 high or 2x4 try taking your foot off the brake and letting it roll an inch or so then hold the brake again. If that doesn't work spray the mud off it and make sure you didn't bust the switch off the transfer case or something.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM

i havent gotten to mess with it to much today but i did stop by the car wash last night and sprayed inside the front wheels and got everything somewhat clean and i did try the whole neutral thing but that didn't work... i havent checked to see if anything is pulled loose yet... is there anything else to check for?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM

On the left side of the transfer case you can see where the module that engages the 4x4 is. Make sure everything his hooked up. I've moved them by hand before too. Some trucks are don't want to shift out of 4lo with pressure on the transfer case. Usually letting it roll a little it will pop right out.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Ther should be two relays somewhere by your left front fender that engage and disengage your transfercase, if you find these just swap them and see if that will get your transfercase out of 4low, if it does then you just need a new relay.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a thought, but did you set your e-brake when you were in neutral and then turn it off?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had the same problem with my 99, it happened in the ford dealers parking lot, go figure... Anyways a stuck shift motor was the culprit
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
USMC 0311

Ever find out the problem? Mine wont go back to 2x4 either.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

try putting it n neutral, set to 2wheel. reverse inch by inch. That was the only way i got mines to get off 4low in reverse.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM

I had the issue and I told ford my 4low cyliniode was bad. They told me it was fine. Some trucks are just worse than others. That if they are in any kind of a bind they won't go in or out. But it will go in 4hi and back to 2wd just fine. So they showed me at the dealership what to do. Stop the truck put the truck in neutral switch to 4hi wait a second if it doesn't go ease foward in drive real slow about 10-12 feet. Then stop put the truck back in neutral. Wait as long as 30-60 seconds and it will always come out. That works for me every time.

Then after that the guy threw me a curve ball by telling me I am suppose to drive like 10 miles to make sure the hubs are fully disengaged. I think if you back up a truck length it will unbind and be all good myself though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.