Fuel Tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank

Need to replace sending unit in fuel tank. Just curious is it easier to pull the bed for access to sending unit rather than droping the tank. I know its much easier to pull the bed on a chevy 1500.

Thanks
post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Garage
If you don't have toolboxes or other things mounted in your bed then I would say just lift the bed. You don't have to take it all the way off, just jack it up high enough to get the sending unit out.

Here's what I did:

2005 F-250 CC/SB 4x4 medium wedgewood blue

5" lift, 5" Donahoe rear springs, 35x13.50 MTZ's, 18x12 Fuel Hostage wheels, 4.30 gears, Banks 4" exhaust, Airraid intake, SCT from Innovative, ARP headstuds, Bulletproof ficm, Scangauge II, Randy Ellis Design lightbar, Street Scene flares, Harpoon mod, Zoodad mod, LED 2010 taillights, Switchback LED front turn signals
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

I have never done either. But I plan on dropping the tank this Saturday to do the hutch and harpoon mods. Have you considered dosing these as well as the sending unit? On the other depending on how much fuel is in the tank would determine which way I went. From what I have read dropping the tank is not that bad. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

2001 F250 Crew Cab Short Box, 4" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, Banks 4" TB Exhaust with Banks Power Elbow, DIY Intake, Banks Big Head, Upgraded Lights, Monotube Adjustable Shocks, Guages, Toyo M/Ts , CCV Mod, A/C Mod, Foil Delete, AIH Delete, Zoodad, Dinger Delete, Hutched and Harpooned, ISSPRO gauges, PHP Phoenix
post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PULL THE BED??????

Goodness NO! You'll be breaking tools & fasteners for no reason (those torx bits don't last in bed bolts ). The tank is Not hard to drop, the less fuel the easier so get low, then put a hose on the drain tube for the fuel bowl and open the drain lever. Then put 12v directly to the fuel pump and empty it.

Dropping Fuel Tank

And, YES - Great time to do the H&H!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that is what i was thinking the bed bolts are hard to get out. i broke a good torx bit. so i cut the bolt off. the tank is 4 bolts. my friend welded a nut the the top of the bolts on his truck and he just broke the shaft on the bolt they would not turn.

Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.50. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Isspro Boost Trans. Van Turbo WW2.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode