oil leak possibly rear main seal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak possibly rear main seal

my 99 f350 has 133k on it and its leaking oil out the bottom of the engine and trans. I looked on top of the motor and the valley is dry and turbo looks dry no oil on side of trans or top. No oil on top or side of block, also coming out of the hole where the feed line goes to the slave cylinder. do you think its a rear oil seal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Try here:

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM

thanks for the link
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's very rare for these trucks to have a rear main leak. Have you looked at the valve cover gaskets? my old truck was leaking down and I didn't notice it till it ruined a starter when i pulled the starter off the outside of the motor had oil leaking down it.

edit: I'd also be leary about listening to much that is said on powerstrokehelp. I don't know how many times i've seen people think that guy speaks the gospel and he really rarely seems to know what he's talking about
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM

here's the update i broke down and worked on it today. Took it apart and found out it was the actuator rod on the turbo pedestal. So i took the actuator rod out and tapped and plugged the hole
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Now what are you going to do about the gate in the flange between the two halves of the turbo? The actuator rod opens and closes that gate like an exhaust brake, I had to replace the pedestal on mine and bought one off ebay for $170 brand new cast pedestal came with orings and a new flange without the gate inside it. You have to remove one side of the turbo, innercooler (driver side) pipe and intake hose.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 PM

I am having the same problem, when I bought my truck which is also an 01' the dealer replaced the rear main seal. Its past the bull**** warranty i got with it and I figured it was the rear main seal again, I guess I need to take a second look.....
Old 05-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationfam View Post
Now what are you going to do about the gate in the flange between the two halves of the turbo? The actuator rod opens and closes that gate like an exhaust brake, I had to replace the pedestal on mine and bought one off ebay for $170 brand new cast pedestal came with orings and a new flange without the gate inside it. You have to remove one side of the turbo, innercooler (driver side) pipe and intake hose.
so i should take all that apart and see if thats where my oil leak is coming from?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 PM

I am just informing you if you remove the actuator arm and plug the hole where it came out there is more to it. That arm kept the gate from closing in the flange (or whatever it is called) and the arm closed that same gate on initial start up when the engine was cold. So just removing that arm from the pedestal does not cure everything but poses another problem. Not to be rude but it is a half *** fix and could cause full time restriction of air flow. The part in the middle of the 2 halves of the turbo is where the gate is. Kinda like an exhaust brake... but does not function that way. Looked it up, the part is called the Exhaust Back pressure Valve or EBPV.

Last edited by nationfam; 05-16-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationfam View Post
I am just informing you if you remove the actuator arm and plug the hole where it came out there is more to it. That arm kept the gate from closing in the flange (or whatever it is called) and the arm closed that same gate on initial start up when the engine was cold. So just removing that arm from the pedestal does not cure everything but poses another problem. Not to be rude but it is a half *** fix and could cause full time restriction of air flow. The part in the middle of the 2 halves of the turbo is where the gate is. Kinda like an exhaust brake... but does not function that way. Looked it up, the part is called the Exhaust Back pressure Valve or EBPV.
good info and thanks for the input. I am going to take my truck to my buddies shop because I dont have the resources and or time to really look at everything and find the exact problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.