P1249 code and some questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P1249 code and some questions...

My truck is pulling up the code P1249 and I looked it up and so far what I figured out is that it means- 'Wastegate Fail Steady State Test ' and that I should check the vacuum lines. I am going to check and see what I can find tomorrow. I also noticed that there is a plastic ring that is loose around/behind both left and right front hubs and I dont see why they would be loose or even what they are for. any ideas?

The truck does have a 40hp super chip but it has not been in use since I have owned the truck. It's an 2001 F250 7.3L ext.cab short bed. It also has an AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System and stright pipe in place of the muffler, Mag-Hytech rear diff cover and a 4in' lift with large tires. the OD is at 70k miles.

thanks for any help, and this seems like a great forum.

-Chris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yeah check the green and red lines for any leaks. Is your truck auto hubs or shift on the fly?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Yeah check the green and red lines for any leaks. Is your truck auto hubs or shift on the fly?
my hubs have the 'auto/lock' options, and the truck has the eletronic shift on the fly switch.

I'll check the vacuum lines in a few hours and let you know if thats it.

thanks.

-chris.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the same code - let me know what you find!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Are they yellow? Could be your vacumn seals on the hubs? Does your hubs work in the auto lock position?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if your refering to the dust seals , between the axles and the diff housing , that is exactly that , it doesnt hold any fluid , all it does , is try to keep as much debris and water out of the housing so as not to damage the inner seals that actually hold the fluid in the rear end , will not hurt anything , and doesnt effect 4x4 operation, not a bad idea to get them replaced , i see them flopping around in there all the time
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
if your refering to the dust seals , between the axles and the diff housing , that is exactly that , it doesnt hold any fluid , all it does , is try to keep as much debris and water out of the housing so as not to damage the inner seals that actually hold the fluid in the rear end , will not hurt anything , and doesnt effect 4x4 operation, not a bad idea to get them replaced , i see them flopping around in there all the time

I figured they would be somthing like that, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get them back into place.

I still need to find out why its pulling the p1249 code, I checked the vacuum lines and they all seemed fine, as long as I am checking the right ones. I also took it out and beat on it and the temps and boost seemed to be normal. From what I can tell the sound I hear coming from the WG seems normal.

Here is another question for ya... When I turn the key and wait for the 'wait to start' light to go off, right before/after it goes off I here this werid 'grunt' or grone sound. Normal?

thanks again for the information. and your truck looks good Scuffy.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

that grunt sound you are hearing is the abs module running a self test , it cycle all the soleniods , to make sure there working , thats pressure dumping inside the hydraulic control unit , normal
Old 09-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
that grunt sound you are hearing is the abs module running a self test , it cycle all the soleniods , to make sure there working , thats pressure dumping inside the hydraulic control unit , normal
Ok good to know, thanks for the info. Now if I could just find someone who knows what the P1249 code is I'll be all set. thanks again.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
Ok good to know, thanks for the info. Now if I could just find someone who knows what the P1249 code is I'll be all set. thanks again.
1249 is an overboost code , which to me , if vacuum lines check out ok, could be the waste gate itself , not operating properly , allowing it not to open , pcm therefore picking up and overboost code , also check wiring going to wastegate solenoid, this code is very seldom a problem , so to be able to give you a common problem for this code is hard to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.