Beans tuning issue, possibly injector(s) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beans tuning issue, possibly injector(s)

Hey all, i'm new to posting on this site, so ill start with a little introduction

Well, im 21, and bought my first Powerstroke almost a year ago, early 99 F250. Im currently in college for HD diesel services, wrenching on everything from CAT to Mercedes. There is ALOT i dont know but these diesels trucks are so fascinating to me i know this is something ill be able to stick with for years to come.

Anyways, onto the problem (Again, Early 99 F250)
Within the past month i've pusrchased and installed BDP 160cc single shot sticks along with the Beans tuned TS chip.
Settings are Stock, Econ., Tow, DD, Hot, and lope.
When the chips in stock tune the truck will romp while and pour white smoke like nobodies business, with a slight tint of blue. I figured since its only in stock tune, and revisions are always free, i could hold off on sending the chip back in etc.
But what i just noticed today is there is a VERY small amount of white smoke in the other settings aswell, hot or cold motor. I'm assuming the smoke is the same under acceleration or while cruising.

i've replaced all the glow plugs, Tested the UVCH, and replaced the CPS when i put the sticks in. Oil level has not risen or fallen. I've hit a brick wall badically.
With any luck both issues can be traced back to the tuning, id hate to think i botched the installation of an injector.

EDIT; Couple other things to add, ive done the CCV mod, the blowby is steady rather than a "puff puff puff". Also what just happened today, in HOT tune when i accelerated hard (not hard enough for the tires to lose grip), the motor stumbled around 1500RPM then smoothed out quickly as revs got past 18-1900. This happened twice. My HPOP and fuel system are stock. i wouldnt doubt the HPOP is weakening
I have a stock HPOP and fuel system,

Last edited by HeartJager; 12-23-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
who installed the injectors?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did, by the book.
The stumbling just occurred yesterday, before then ive done multiple WOT runs (kept EGTs under 1200) with no issue.
Also, #30 fuse popped so i unplugged the fuel bowl heater, and its been under 40* here in Michigan. I read that cold fuel may not burn completely
Truck always starts in under 4 seconds of cranking dead cold unplugged, romps for about 5 seconds, then smooths out.
Just trying to give you gentlemen any bit of info i can

Last edited by HeartJager; 12-24-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Has your coolant level changed?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Coolant has not changed, exhaust smells of raw fuel. I've never had any smoking problems until after the new injector/chip install
Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 AM

My bet is on injector o ring issue, but you might want to wait and see what some of the guru's say on here. Have you tried calling beans?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it was that'd be wonderful, i wouldnt enjoy popping the VCs again but it'd be a cheap or no-cost fix. I havent gotton ahold of them yet, will try monday

UPDATE; I stuck my head in the front wheel wells while it was idling in stock tune, passenger side sounded different, not consistant, with a tick/knock kind of sound. I measured the temps with the pyro probe on my DMM, not nearly as accurate as the heat gun but its what i got. cyls 3 and 5 were about 10 degrees apart, both lower than cyls 1 and 7 by 20-30 degrees. Engine was just under op. temp
The white smoke is a quick "puff puff puff"
But if one or two cylinders were colder than the rest, wouldnt it mean they werent firing or lack of fuel? so there wouldnt be white smoke? Or maybe without enough fuel it doesnt penetrate the air or get hot enough to burn it all? Just thoughts

Last edited by HeartJager; 12-24-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM

I was told if you put in single shot injectors you may have to put in a upgraged HPOP, have the reprogram the computer.

By not reprograming the computer the single shots could still be getting fired like the split shots and dumping too much fuel into the cylinders.

I would pull the valve cover and verify all connections.

While you have the valve covers off start the truck and look on the topside of the injectors were the oil spouts are verify they are all squirting the same amount of oil.

If you find one not shooting oil or verry little then you have a bad injector.

You can also do a buzz test on the injectors too listen for one being quieter than others that means that one is weak and should be replaced.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The folks at Beans diesel re-burned my chip to run the single shots, but i cant help but think they scratched the "stock" tune because it smokes tremendously more in that.

I will def. be pulling the covers off again as soon as i can get the time.
I'd rather not pay the dealer to rattle the injectors, can they be tested with a multimeter?

Also thank you both for the replies
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Give us a call. We will be more than willing to help you with any problems you may be having. 615-563-7800. Extension 25 is Jonathan in tuning, extension 23 is tech support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.