2001 F350 buzzing/starting problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 F350 buzzing/starting problems

I am new to the forum and i have been having issues with my 7.3 i bought about 4 months ago. It has 190,000 miles and has starting issues.

When the weather got cold, the issues seemed to come out of no where. First issue was when hard starting, batteries would be drained after 2 or 3 cranks. I replaced both batteries and one of the ground wires. After that, it still had trouble starting some mornings, so i replaced the glowplug relay. The truck started perfect for a week.

Then i started getting a buzzing sound from behind the dash and the radio would cut in and out while waiting for the WTS light to go out. Still started but i thought it was strange. Then the truck started to have trouble turning over until yesterday when it wouldn't do anything. I could hear the starter relay kick on and off but nothing else. So i took starter off in my work parking lot and replaced it. The truck started like a champ with the new starter with no buzzing sound or radio cut in and out all day. At this point i though i had fixed it all.

I then ran into the mall with my wife tonight and when we went outside, it would not start. It would turn over but not start. plenty of battery power and the starter was really spinning but would not start. It was not cold out and the truck had been running less than 15 min earlier. The buzzing sound was back and i tried to start it for over 10 minutes. Finally called tow truck and as the tow truck pulled into the parking lot, i got it to start when i turned off the radio and ac. I have no clue what the issue is but the buzzing sound from behind the dash is back but it started 10 times in a row in my driveway when i got it home with the radio and ac on or off.

Sorry for the long post but i am quite aggravated because this truck can not be trusted to get me home consistently now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hello.

Have you been able to get an answer to this yet? I'm half way there on mine right now. Will be replacing the starter today. Have you replaced the Crank Position Sensor (CPS)? It is a relatively cheap part, and has been known to cause stalling/slow starting issues.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

CPS sensors will do some real wierd things. Do yourself a favor, buy two and install one. A spare is always needed.

Sounds like you have a short. Check all your wiring, check your igntion cylinder incase its a battery power issue (radios are usually battery power) and go from there.

Also, check your neutrel safety swtich if these trucks are equipped(most new do)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.