Stumped on brakes... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Stumped on brakes...

Started getting grinding noise, so that day i stopped by autozone and grabbed some cheapy duralast brake pads. Installed driver side flawlessly, and all was going well. On the passenger side front, the guide pin seized in the caliper bracket. Went and bought a new one... After installing that and throwing on those brake pads, i was still getting a grinding sound. Jacked up the truck again, and sure enough, the rotor looked like it needed some TLC. So back to autozone, and grabbed 2 new rotor/hub assemblys. Got home and put on the passenger side rotor, easy install and very simple, however, still grinding...

I've matched the caliper, there is no rubbing from that, when i replaced the guide pins in the bracket, i used the high temp silicone grease, and am sure those are not binding or seizing. Everything is tight, and i've visually checked that the brake pad clips are not rubbing when the brakes are pressed. I've greased the dam pads on the back side where they meet the caliper pistons, and have made sure the pads and the rotor itself where clean enough to eat off of, so no metal scoring... I'm still getting griding, and i'm about to lose my mind! Does anyone have any advice that might help out? It's my daily driver, and i don't like being that guy in bumper to bumper traffic with screaming wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm having the same problem on Duralast pads. I have a set of these on the way: Riffraff Diesel: EBC Yellow Stuff Pads - Front I've read some great reviews of how they perform on our trucks.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found the problem, haha. It was the brake clip on the rear passenger side. Only found this out by a painful process of elimination. Turns out the bent part of the clip on the bottom side hiding under the caliper bracket was bent back somehow, still unsure, causing it to scratch alone the side of the rotor, and of course there was no wear pattern, because the rotor started eating away at the clip, not the other way around. Don't just look at the pads next time, sometimes these weird things happen.

Total cost of parts before i found the problem: 286.74
Cost of the brake clip: 3.38 (set of four)
Fixing this problem: relieving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.