truck wouldnt start again this morning=(!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
truck wouldnt start again this morning=(!!!

2003 ford f250

Went to go start the truck this morning. Had the block heater plugged in all night.

Unplugged it, went to go try to start the truck and nothing.

The batteries are good. They have charged and everything.

I have power since i put the key in the ignition and put it to accessory and the truck lights comes on not a problem, can here the fuel pump activate and such.

Then i go to move the key to full ignition to turn it on and nothing. There is a click noise in the engine compartment and then when i let the key ignition go it also makes a clicking sound.

Lights still work and all. Just makes clicking noise and wont start.

Would this maybe be my starter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
could also be relays, corroded connections, etc.

i would start by checking all fuses and relays

check battery cables and grounds for corrosion

does the wait to start light come on?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
could also be relays, corroded connections, etc.

i would start by checking all fuses and relays

check battery cables and grounds for corrosion

does the wait to start light come on?

For the glow plugs? yes it comes on, all my lights work just perfectly fine.

The battery cables are fine, i looked at them yesterday, no corrosion and they are solidly connected.

What relays would i need to check?

Cause see i had this same problem about a month ago, it would randomly not start, then i would let it sit for a few minutes, and she would start right up. It did this for about a week. And now its happening again...

The only thing i notice is when i hit the key to turn it on to crank it, my mileage light goes away. (just to clarify, the digital mileage meter)
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This could absolutely be your starter.... BUT, could be other things too.

When it happens, I would hake a hammer to the starter itself. Give it a few good shots to reseat the Bendix and brushes. If that alone does the trick I'd think it was the starter. In the fusebox, in the cab, there is a relay that is your starter relay it could be that too. There's actually a fuse there too that's for the starter (like 113 - maybe?) Also take a real good look at all the starter connections, wiggle them to be sure they're tight and clean (this all assumes your battery connections are, as you say, good). With the cover off the fusebox use your hand to identify if the clicking is coming from a relay there.

In your previous post, we talked about the NSSW - you eliminated that - right?

Last edited by NoRalPh; 12-13-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
This could absolutely be your starter.... BUT, could be other things too.

When it happens, I would hake a hammer to the starter itself. Give it a few good shots to reseat the Bendix and brushes. If that alone does the trick I'd think it was the starter. In the fusebox, in the cab, there is a relay that is your starter relay it could be that too. There's actually a fuse there too that's for the starter (like 113 - maybe?) Also take a real good look at all the starter connections, wiggle them to be sure they're tight and clean (this all assumes your battery connections are, as you say, good). With the cover off the fusebox use your hand to identify if the clicking is coming from a relay there.

In your previous post, we talked about the NSSW - you eliminated that - right?

The Neutral Safety Switch? Well as you said before, and i think this is what you meant, I tried wiggling the shifter and still wouldn't start, also tried to start in the different gears and still nothing.

Now i know you were helping me before in the other post i had. and that relay problem. Before when this happened and wouldn't start i would unplug the relay and plug it back in and it would start.

Heres the post with those images.

Random relay with wired under steering wheel fuse panel?

The brown wire that was soldered to a fuse, i re routed it to the above relay plug and put a crimp on it and shoved it in there, i would take that brown wire out and put it back in and my truck would start on the days this happened.

BUT, when this happened before there was no clicking noises like there is this time, and i can hear clicking noise this time.

I know there coming from the engine compartment cause i had my ear down to the fuse panel under the steering wheel and heard nothing, and had the hood opened and could hear it quite loudly.

Sooo what are your thoughts on this now...=/
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Could the noise you hear under the hood actually be coming from the starter? Have somebody try to start while you're under there with your hand on the starter to see (don't forget the hammer ) .

And yes, NSSW = Neutral Safety SW, and when it's the problem you usually don't get the "click" when you spring the key forward...

I'm afraid I don't know if the Delayed Accessory Relay can give you symptoms you're having, doesn't "feel" like it should,,,, do you have an Alarm System in your truck?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Could the noise you hear under the hood actually be coming from the starter? Have somebody try to start while you're under there with your hand on the starter to see (don't forget the hammer ) .

And yes, NSSW = Neutral Safety SW, and when it's the problem you usually don't get the "click" when you spring the key forward...

I'm afraid I don't know if the Delayed Accessory Relay can give you symptoms you're having, doesn't "feel" like it should,,,, do you have an Alarm System in your truck?
You know it vary well could be, ill have to get under the truck and have someone start it for me and see if that is where the noise is coming from.

If it is, there thats where the hammer comes in play, and then thats when i replace it!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is this a automatic or manual, if it is a auto it sounds like you are not all the way in park, there is linkage under dash that has some bolts that come loose and not let go all the way in park, had same problem
Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgnc View Post
Is this a automatic or manual, if it is a auto it sounds like you are not all the way in park, there is linkage under dash that has some bolts that come loose and not let go all the way in park, had same problem
ITs an auto. Ill check that but idk.

Guys im baffled (sigh)

The starter was getting the right amount of volts. Batteries are charged. no corrosion anywhere.

This is what i did.

I literately pulled all the fused out from under the steering column and put them back in to see if they were blew, none were blew.

I tried to start it again and it started this time!

Why would it do this? Im straight baffled
Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

corrosion on one of the fuses??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.