01 - 7.3L Another cold weather starting problem thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 - 7.3L Another cold weather starting problem thread

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and thought about posting on some other threads about the same problem but I figured I would introduce myself at the sametime with starting my own. Anyways, here's my non-orginal problem. 2001 7.3 - I just replaced my glow plug relay for the second time in two years and I'm still having the hard slow starting problem in the cold weather. Now usually I just give in and start to plug in the block heater and it fixes the problem but this winter its still not helping??? Now I can get it started after about three turns of the key but it just about drains my batteries to do so. I added a second ground strap too so I don't heat up just the factory wire. It runs great when I get it running but now I've started to notice that even after it is warmed up it still is turning over hard starting just not as hard when it is warmed up. Any ideas on this one? Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The relay is only a part of the system though... Have you checked the Glow Plugs themselves?

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

Next, are you sure the block heater is functioning? After it's been an hour or so, feel the block above the starter, where the cord goes in, to see if you feel any heat there.

Cycling the key three times (you don't have to do that the GP are on for much longer than the WTS is) should Not drain the batteries. Charge them up fully, take them out and have them Individually Load Tested at a high rate (NOT a 100A discharge from a cheap tester an Auto Parts Store might use). This is the time of year when your batteries are put-to-the-test as it get's colder, might be time.....

What oil are you using? 15W only adds to the problem because it's pretty thick in the winter. If you're not already using it, try a 5W Synthetic.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 AM

check the bats. like said above. ur batteries should not run down that fast. ur problem may be caused by the starter not having enough juice to turn the motor over fast enough to start.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey NoRalPH,

Thanks for the reply. I have not checked the GP's so I'll be looking at the link you gave me and checking into them. I put in brand new batteries two seasons ago and they both are 880cca. I have a load tester so I will take a look at them. I had the oil changed about a month ago and it is 15w40. I never knew that the GP relay stayed on for up to two minutes so I will taking advantage of that. The problem with the three starts is the engine turns over so slowly I don't want to heat up the ground straps and drawn down the batteries with holding the key over to long so I stop and then start again. I never realized that GP's/relay are still heating during turning it over I thought it only operated during that pre-start key position.
Can you recommend a 5w weight synthetic? And thank you very much for your help with this, I really appreciate your time.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Wheeler,

You both make a good point about the batteries. It seems so obvious now that you both are saying it. What sucks in part is that I just bought these batteries two seasons ago at O'Reilly I will have to see if they are under warranty still? I can see problems with what they say is still working properly and what my 7.3 needs for power. I was thinking of putting my fleet battery charger on this morning and seeing if the truck starts easy with the aid the battery charger. A way of seeing if the batteries are the problem? As well as doing the load test on each of them.

Last edited by Smokin4x4; 12-11-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Winning DUHHH

IF they are the extreme series, they have a 3 year free replacement.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Im having a similar problem. When I turn the key I hear a winding up sound then a clunk...any idea of what this could be?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced my gp’s and gpr on my 2000 7.3 after 4 winters of spending ridiculous amounts of money on electricity from plugging it in. Fixed all my problems. If it doesnt start, i cycle the wait to start 2 or 3 times...fires right up.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Go to Sears and get yourself some Die-Hards, can't compare any batteries to them. I know I'll open up a can of worms with that statement, but 30 some years of experience has proven them the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.