Truck wont run - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck wont run

I have a 2001 F250 7.3L Diesel. In January I had got a recall notice on camshaft sensor. Took it in they performed recall and replaced it. Truck ran great. Coming home from Florida truck dies in intersection, i put it in neutral and restart it. Runs fine the whole way home. Drive it Thanksgiving day and days again when slowing down to turn, takes a couple of time but it starts and I make it to my destination just down the road. I go to leave about 3 hours later and it start dies, start dies. Then will not start at all. I am thinking it s cam position sensor again. I go to Ford buy one, part # F7TZ-12K073-B. I install it truck runs like crap.Takes about 15 times to get it to idle. Begin on my way home. Truck dies driving down the road. I pull to side try to start and it start dies. I disconnect batteries and let it set. Reconnect them it fires up after several attempts and idles crap but levels out and I am able to drive it home. Runs fine. I park leave truck for about 5 hrs and now wont start again. Any Ideas on where to start. I am baffled. No diesel mechaninc and getting very frustrated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Someone told me the ICP was the problem and not the CPS, does this sound right.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Possibly. A real quick way to tell for sure would be to check codes. Other wise it's mostly guessing.

One thing you can try is to unplug the ICP sensor. It's located on the drivers side head across from the fuel bowl. It's a round 3 wire sensor. Do a google image search on ICP sensor and you'll see what I'm talking about. Unplug it and look for signs or traces of oil where the connector goes into the sensor. The ICP (Injection control pressure) sensor is what measures the high pressure oil pressure for the injectors. It sees very high pressures of 2500+ psi. When the sensor starts to go bad it will let oil bleed thru the sensor. If it's sending the wrong info to the PCM it will not control the injectors properly. If you unplug it the PCM will just guess on the pressures, so it won't have as good of power but should run smoother.

If it runs better with the sensor disconnected then the sensor is bad. I would start with checking this.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I unplugged it and there was oil on the end of the harness. I plugged it back in and the truck fired right up until i stepped on gas and it died again. I will go ahead and replace it. I dont have any thing to scan for codes ot than the scanguage I have hooked up to the truck .
Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Leave it unplugged and see if it runs ok. I'll bet it will. If you found oil in the end of the sensor it needs to be replaced anyway. Hope that takes care of it for you!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK ICP replaced, truck firs up runs smooth, drive it around the block and it runs better than it ever has come home, kill it a few times and restart it. All good. Go to drive to store an hour later and it pulls same crap just spin over and not start. I am so frustrated. I have WTS light and tach movement so good there, new cps and icp, now what to check?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I would inspect the IPR valve next. Check the wiring connector going into the IPR. I've seen the insulation melt off and the wires will touch causing rough running. Also check the little 3/4 nut that holds the IPR solenoid on. If this is loose or missing it will cause issues.

If that checks out, you could either pull the IPR and check the o-rings, or replace it.

Better yet get it running and take it somewhere and check codes. It has to have logged some sort of code by now. That would at least confirm that we're on the right path. Otherwise everything I've told you is just guesses on my part.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I will check that out today at lunch. Going to try and get AAA to tow it to a shop if I can get ahold of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.