Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

severely limited turning radius

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dirtcheap02 
#1 ·
I recently had a blow out and my truck skidded the wall at about 70. Luckily my front and rear ranch hands took most of the damage. However my turning radius is very strange. It is limited by about 50 percent but the side that is effected seems to alternate. One minute I can't turn right then I can turn right fine but then I can't turn left.

none of the steering linkages are bent. Any ideas?
1999 350 4X4 6SPD

#2 ·
Have you checked your PS fluid level? Maybe your steering gear box? :dunno:

May be jack up the front, have someone run the steering wheel back and forth while you check everything out??

Just offering some suggestions I would try. Good luck....

#5 ·
Put the front end on stands and check all linkage for binding or something bent. Spin your axle u joints by hand to check they are free. Then work the wheel back and forth if nothing seems out of line in the linkage its prolly the steering box.

#6 ·
It has been a while since I posted this problem, but I still thought it might help somebody to know what solved my problem if this thread is ever run across again. As some one else mentioned it was indeed a broken tooth inside of the gear box. There were no visible problems so the only way to diagnose reliably was to pull the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.