Problem Blowing #30 Fuse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem Blowing #30 Fuse

99 7.3 PSD keeps blowing #30 Fuse in the fuse block under the instrument panel. The first time this happened the truck just shut off. I still had power to everything just not pcm glowplugs ect. So the truck just turns over. Naturally I went through all the fuses in all the fuse blocks and came across one maxi blown that was unrelated that I didnt know was blown. The other was the #30 mini fuse under the dash. Replaced it and it fired up.

Since this happened I was working on the truck and had it in our shop for about 3 weeks at which the truck wasnt started once.. Put the battery charger on it a few time to try to keep it fresh. When I was done working on the truck I went to start it and the battery was dead. Jump started it just fine. Since running the truck I still have to jump start the truck if I havent driven it for about 3 or 4 days. Anything sooner and the truck starts. So by the sounds of that its time for two new batterys since the alternator still seems to charge the battery, the batterys just cant hold a charge.

A couple of days ago I was towing a trailer and the truck randomly dies just like the first time. So after coasting off the road I turned on the ignition and what do you know, no wait to start and no glowplug system actuated. So I automatically went for fuse 30 which was blown. Replaced it once and it blew it right away. Replaced it a second time and the truck started and ran fine until I arrived home later that night.

Today I went out to see if the truck would start without being jumped. It took more cranks but it would have started. I dont like cranking on the starter long when the battery is low (I know its harder on everything to start when the battery's are low) so right as it was going to fire I let off the ignition. I did this probably twice. The second time it blew fuse 30. Could this be because of the low battery voltage, causing it to send out sporadic voltages by working harder than normal over loading the fuse and blowing it? I went through 5 fuses that all blew right when I turned the ignition to let the glow plugs cycle. So now I cant turn on the ignition without blowing the fuse. I tried this with jumper cables hooked up and without and its the same either way. I blow the fuse. I will try again later but im getting low on fuses.

The very first time this fuse blew, the battery's were working correctly at that time. I know I need new battery's and with the weather turning mixed with 3 weeks of not running and it probabally sent them under. But I don't know what initially causes this problem. I know the power that runs through fuse 30 goes to the PCM, Fuel heater ( which I haven't plugged in this winter yet) waste gate sylanoid and the injector driver module relay coil.

So with all that Im not sure where to start.

Im curious if anyone else has ever had a problem with their #30 fuse.

Could bad battery's charged or not cause this? Im not sure how old these battery's are. Can old battery's whether they hold a charge or not send sporadic voltages just from being old? As a result Blowing fuses that initially receive power for systems that draw more to function aka items listed above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My only guess with this, being said that your fuses are constantly blowing would be a short somewhere or a wire grounding out.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM

It would have to be within the components that I mentioned that the fuse passes power to right?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Fuel Heater, located in the bottom of the Filter Housing is the most likely cause. But you say it's not plugged in... Are you Sure???

How about the plug & wiring going to it?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Let me throw something in here.

By saying "which I haven't plugged in this winter yet", do you mean you haven't plugged in the block heater yet this winter?

The fuel heater is different than the block heater. Just wanting some clarification to your statement.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Let me throw something in here.

By saying "which I haven't plugged in this winter yet", do you mean you haven't plugged in the block heater yet this winter?

The fuel heater is different than the block heater. Just wanting some clarification to your statement.
My bad I was thinking of the block heater as I was typing haha. After clearing that up... what are your thoughts lol
Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

The ol' brain ahead of the fingers deal!!! Happens to me far too often.

To your issue - I think NoRalph hit it. There is a fuel heater in the bottom of the fuel bowl. They've been known to short out. There is a plug on the side of the fuel bowl. Many have unplugged that and not run it. Don't know how cold it gets in "Choose not to answer" ( I looked in your profile ), but if does get cold there, it might be worth considering replacing it.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The ol' brain ahead of the fingers deal!!! Happens to me far too often.

To your issue - I think NoRalph hit it. There is a fuel heater in the bottom of the fuel bowl. They've been known to short out. There is a plug on the side of the fuel bowl. Many have unplugged that and not run it. Don't know how cold it gets in "Choose not to answer" ( I looked in your profile ), but if does get cold there, it might be worth considering replacing it.
Sorry about that I need to update my profile haha, Throw up some pictures ect. Im in eastern washington so it can get pretty cold at times. Ill check that plug out. I have been messing around in that area before when I installed my oil temp gauge. So if I unplug the connection and it doesnt blow the fuse chances are good its the heater plug shorting?

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Can't find a picture, but I did find out where the plug is.

"Fuel heater plug-in is at the back driver's side of the fuel filter housing, all the way at the bottom."

From what I've read, you are correct. If you unplug it and it doen't blow the fuse any more, you should be good to go.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Can't find a picture, but I did find out where the plug is.

"Fuel heater plug-in is at the back driver's side of the fuel filter housing, all the way at the bottom."

From what I've read, you are correct. If you unplug it and it doen't blow the fuse any more, you should be good to go.
Alright thanks. I was just going to ask if you knew the location. I have it pulled up on all data but sometimes that doesnt help. I know theres some sort of small connector inside the fuel bowl also that if I understand correct you have to unplug as well to replace it. So I wasnt sure which one lol.

Thanks SuperCrutyPS for the help, I appreciate it.

Ill post what I come up with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.