Truck wouldnt start this morning?!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Truck wouldnt start this morning?!?!

I have on 03 f250.

I went out this morning to my truck, unplugged the heater block, and went in the truck to start it. Lights and everything came on like normal but when i went to turn the key to crank it, nothing!!!. There is no cranking no clicking noise or anything. But all the lights and power work. Does anyone have any idea why this would randomly happen?

She ran fine yesterday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
I have on 03 f250.

I went out this morning to my truck, unplugged the heater block, and went in the truck to start it. Lights and everything came on like normal but when i went to turn the key to crank it, nothing!!!. There is no cranking no clicking noise or anything. But all the lights and power work. Does anyone have any idea why this would randomly happen?

She ran fine yesterday
Almost sound like 1 of 2 things, but I might be wrong. The problems I had when this happened originally was the CPM(cam position sensor). It's been quite sometime with that bad rash or CPMs, so it's probably less of a possibility. The 2nd problem I had some time later, was the IDM(injector drive module), but you'll need a scan tool that can do functional tests & perform the buzz test. This will tell you(on a good scan tool) if IDM codes are present. In which case is narrows your problem down to the IDM.

There could very well be a different problem, so hopefully this bump will get someone on here with a better idea.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well first, as I read your post, you're saying the starter doesn't engage - right?

And a bad CPS will NOT do that! In your other post we were talking relay problems and that's where the starter relay is, in an '03

How about the Neutral Safety Switch try and move the shift selector.

Could be that, I also tell anybody with the updated electrical system (as indicated by the addition of a Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster) to look at this junction under the hood -> POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......

Could be a few things but that's where I'd start,,,, Your batteries have lots of "juice" in them? Turn on the headlights and have someone try the starter to see if there's a noticeable Load when trying....

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-15-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM

its actually quite weird, i changed a 10amp fuse that night and it fired up. Drove it to work this morning and this after noon i turned it on, drove to the back of the shop, then turned it off. went to turn it back on and it wouldnt start, had power, lights worked, everything. Just wouldnt crank. then i waited a little bit and tried it again and it started right up. There wasnt no weak cranking or anything, it just started right up.

The relay ive been messing with was the delayed accessory relay, which i know atleast controls that power windows and the radio.(cause it wasnt working this morning)

I tried to hook up a scanner to it, and i have a pretty decent scanner tool.

But when i got to the end of selecting what size engine it had, it just froze up, it did this about 6 times. never would go past that part on the scanner. So i tried it on another vehicle and it worked fine.

Also my check engine light IS NOT on. Just to state that so if anyone ask
Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM

You changed which fuse? If it's not a coincidence, with your history, you have to Really take a good look at what's going on in your fusebox, there could be all Kinds of issues from that alone!

What scanner are you trying to use (Most won't properly pull codes from our trucks) and this doesn't sound like an issue that would generate a code to me...

Here's what ya got, the KEY cylinder sends a signal to the relay in the fusebox Thru the NSSW (or clutch sw in a standard) to close it's contacts and enable the solenoid on the starter itself to throw the Bendix, engaging it's gear in the flywheel and turn the starter motor.

So, wiggle the Key / move the shift selector to different positions / wiggle the relay / take a hammer and Rap on the starter motor / go over the starters connections.

ANY one of these components can be bad, your problem is intermittent so, hopefully, by trying each one you can determine what the bad one is......
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
You changed which fuse? If it's not a coincidence, with your history, you have to Really take a good look at what's going on in your fusebox, there could be all Kinds of issues from that alone!

What scanner are you trying to use (Most won't properly pull codes from our trucks) and this doesn't sound like an issue that would generate a code to me...

Here's what ya got, the KEY cylinder sends a signal to the relay in the fusebox Thru the NSSW (or clutch sw in a standard) to close it's contacts and enable the solenoid on the starter itself to throw the Bendix, engaging it's gear in the flywheel and turn the starter motor.

So, wiggle the Key / move the shift selector to different positions / wiggle the relay / take a hammer and Rap on the starter motor / go over the starters connections.

ANY one of these components can be bad, your problem is intermittent so, hopefully, by trying each one you can determine what the bad one is......

Ill try that when it happens again, since i fixed the relay last night(my windows and my radio works now) it hasn't done anything wrong. So hopefully it wont be if it does ill try that stuff.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I have a 2002 and mine was doing the same thing. Turn the key. All the lights come on everything seems normal, turn the key and nothing. So I took out the starter relay and by passed in with a piece of wire. Cranks and fires right up. Bought a new relay and it worked normal again. Just the other day it started doing it again. Pulled the starter relay by passed it with a wire.....fires right up. I don't understand what's causing either my relay to go or if there is another problem I'm missing
Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 AM

I would think what you're missing is the NSSW.

"Here's what ya got, the KEY cylinder sends a signal to the relay in the fusebox Thru the NSSW (or clutch sw in a standard) to close it's contacts and enable the solenoid on the starter itself to throw the Bendix, engaging it's gear in the flywheel and turn the starter motor."

If on it's way to your relay, the connection is interrupted by the NSSW (or clutch sw), you would have to bypass that whole system with the wire.

Try moving the selector to another position. If you're is a standard look at the sw on the clutch pedal.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So your saying with with the relay in, put the truck into neutral and try it? If it does fire that means my my nssw is bad?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Yea, Neutral or move it up/down in Park, might be so out of wack it wants D or R.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.