droping boost and falling on its face? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
droping boost and falling on its face?

i have a 99.5 f250 had the truck awhile no problem until now at a light cruise like 5 or 6 psi of boost with constant pedal its like the waste gate opens and i loose all boost and the truck falls on its face u get more pedal boost jumps up and u go you can hear i bad whooshin sound when it does this ....and now its doing it in 4x4 low offroad hillclimbing just its doing it up to 15 psi of boost.....when it does it u got to come off the pedal and stab it again .....is it the waste gate getting weak and doing this or what
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same problem

I am having the same problem with mine however mine is not in as advanced stages, however it gets worse every time I drive it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 PM

I do think i know the problem though the rubber boot that connects the vaccum line to the waste gate is looking pretty dry rotten i have been meaning to find a new one and replace it to see if it sovles the problem ....maybe the boot leaks and loses vaccum and causes the problem
Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 AM

I am having the same problem. I can only build like 14psi and it makes that wooshing sound like all the boost is dumping out. From what I have read so far I think it is a weak wastegate actuator not letting me build any boost. I think I am going to order a new one this week.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Winning DUHHH

EBPV cycling.....Whats you OAT?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Plug the wastegate actuator line. This will eliminate the possibility that the wastegate is opening and you can continue to run that way. Wont hurt a thing--stack turbo will not overboost the engine--most wont even hit the fuel cutback point up around 20/22psi. I have never had a vacuum line on my wastegate in 160,000 miles. Do not introduce a leak in the line at the wastegate. While this will delay the cutback it also robs vacuum also used to actuate your hubs on some trucks.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogjru View Post
Plug the wastegate actuator line. This will eliminate the possibility that the wastegate is opening and you can continue to run that way. Wont hurt a thing--stack turbo will not overboost the engine--most wont even hit the fuel cutback point up around 20/22psi. I have never had a vacuum line on my wastegate in 160,000 miles. Do not introduce a leak in the line at the wastegate. While this will delay the cutback it also robs vacuum also used to actuate your hubs on some trucks.
Think I am going to try this. Turbos didn't used to have a waste gate anyway. They only did that for EPA reasons.

Last edited by Goldstud; 12-12-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still loosing boost, likley out the waste gate.

Well shoot. I sure thought I had the problem cured. I disconnected the vacuum line to the actuator for the waste gate, drive my truck all over the place and had no problems with it. Then on my way home from a meeting in town , I was no more than 5 miles from my house when it started it again. So something other than the actuator is opening the waste gate.

One thing that I have noticed, is that it does it more when the outside temperature is cold, like below freezing. It still does it some when warm outside, but not as much and it does not COMPLETELY dump all boost like it does when it is cold outside. Maybe something mediated with colder weather. I don't remember it ever doing this during the summer, but I had it do it just a bit last winter, though it was never dumping enough to notice more than just a hiss from the waste gate and no noticeable power loss as it would stop soon as I gave it more throttle.

Another thing, I am not sure my truck has a thermostat in it. I got this truck used with 76K on it. The temp gauge almost never gets more than about 1/6 of the way off the cold mark, even in the summer at 100 plus degrees outside. I rarely see it near the half way mark unless I am hauling a heavy load (like 15K or more) up a LONG hill. Everyone I know with the same basic truck as mine, the temp gauge reads about half way all the time. Any thoughts on on if there is a sensor that might be saying the truck is cold and opening the waste gate. Is there any way for it to open the waste gate with the actuator line disconnected??? What holds it closed, a spring?

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your coolant is not getting warm enough your oil temp can not reach the proper temp either and could be triggering the exhaust back pressure to close the flap on the exhaust.
You will loose power when the ebp valve closes.
I would replace the thermostat then take it out for a drive it should fix the problem.
You may get better mileage too once your temp reads right.
When the ebpv closes it sounds like a jet engine if you are near the tail pipe.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
If your coolant is not getting warm enough your oil temp can not reach the proper temp either and could be triggering the exhaust back pressure to close the flap on the exhaust.
You will loose power when the ebp valve closes.
I would replace the thermostat then take it out for a drive it should fix the problem.
You may get better mileage too once your temp reads right.
When the ebpv closes it sounds like a jet engine if you are near the tail pipe.
Thanks, I will try this next. Have to wait till the weekend when I have time but I hope that is the case. I know a lot of people that think an engine doesn't need a thermostat and they take it out. I have thought since the day I got this truck that, that could be the case with it, but have never ventured to take it apart to find out. I'll post my results after the weekend.

Thanks again everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.