7.3 reseal hpop cranks no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 reseal hpop cranks no start

Help! I can usually figure this stuff out on my own but I'm at a complete loss. I'm working on a 2001 7.3. It had an oil leak coming from underneath the hpop ( nothing easy like a hose or plug of course). So I pulled and replaced the seal ( ford replacement) and now it will turnover, no start. I filled the hpop res. And it is staying full. Checked the fuel, it is pumping and I replaced the filter while I was at it. Oil is full, put new batteries in it because I had been cranking on it for a while and really I just can't think of anything else. Truck has a new cps now. Just because I had a spare. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, supposed to send my wife to tx in a few days and I just need it fixed right. I would have it towed to ford but they told me they were behind a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Air in the system possibly.
Any ANY loose connector you didn't plug in?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not sure how to get all the air out of the pump, I filled the res. And cranked it over a few times. Pulled the plug off the top and let it bubble about 15times?? I just unplugged and replugged all the connectors and still nothing. Against my better judgement I even tried eather. It will run on that. So I pulled everything off again, couldn't find one piece that was bad, the only thing I can think of is maybe the gasket didn't seat right?? I actually bought 2 because I have a bunch of these trucks and I figured if one went out on anouther truck will eventually. So I'll try to put it all back together in the am.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

if the gasket is sealed or not it should build HP oil Pressure. You need to verify icp pressure while cranking, either with a scan tool or manual gauge, sometimes I use both.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have a scanner, where can I plumb in a manual gauge? Also I undid both oil lines and cranked it over before I pulled it out and both pumped fluid. One question though, I unscrewed the smaller plug on the bottom drivers side of the pump and replaced the gasket, it couldn't have misaligned pressure plates or something could it? ( not sure what type of pump it is).
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have the ipr plugged in on the pump??
Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep. And when I crank the engine over it shows oil pressure. I know is a different pump.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM

You can measure the voltage on The icp sensor, should be directions on the site, or remove the icp sensor and screw in a hydraulic pressure gauge. Minimum is 500psi to start the engine, sensor is located in the drivers side head in the oil rail.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fML! So I went through and resealed everything, cleaned all the plugs,topped off oil again, and nothing. Put a gauge on the drivers side head, well over 500psi. Shot it with eather, started! So I thought finally thank god, let it run for about 5 min, attempted to start again, NOTHING! WTF shot it with eather again runs fine, I'll try to shut it off and start it again in like 30min.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Please unplug your GPR so that the GPs won't predetonate the ether.
Maybe it's fuel related? Just trying something.

Or maybe you need to run it for more than 5 mins. Get it started, drive it hard to get any air out, then try later again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.