Have a problem and it is getting worse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have a engine running problem and it is getting worse

Hi all, I could use some help...

My mods are below and overall the truck has been great.

A week plus ago, I was driving th EX and shortly after I got out of the neighborhood, the truck power fell flat on its face. I shut it off and pulled over. I turned the key off and then back on and let the GP wait to start light to go out. Re-started and drove away with no other hiccups.

My son drives it a few days later and the same occurs and his response was the same, 2 days in a row.

We usually just start the truck as our weather has always been warm. It is cooling down now. My son drove it again and I had him start the truck early, wait for the GP light to go out and let the truck idle in the driveway for 10 - 15 minutes before leaving to school. He had no problems.

I went to start it Thursday and it didn't want to start off first try and the CEL (or SES, whichever it is) came on. I read the codes and had 1393, 1391 and 1211 in that order if that matters. The 1393 and 1 is for GPC low input Bank 1 and 2 with 1211 being Injector Control Pressure higher/lower. I tried to start again and it fired right up and then had no problems. I cleared the codes after jotting them down.

Now is where it is worse. I went to drive off yesterday. I did not let the truck idle as it was in the upper 60's. I got to the end of the street and the power fell off and I kept it running until it shut off. Turned the ignition off and on, let the GP wait to start to go off and when cranking, it was like out of fuel and took a while to eventually fire off and was sluggish for a while. I thought that may have been all and able to drive off - BUT NOT THE CASE. It happened 2 more times before I could get it around the block and back in the driveway. Everytime was like running out of fuel. I have almost a half tank.

I did replace my fuel filter some 5 to 6 weeks ago with a Autozone brand filter.

Are they prone to have problems?

Could it be something else?

I could really use some help figuring this out.

I have had some other codes occur in the past while driving that did not affect anything. I would clear them and think it was because of the programmer and tune. It seems like my fuel economy is not that great either, as pulling an open trailer to KY a few weeks ago - I got 15MPG going driving 60 to 70 MPG and 12MPG coming back driving 70 to 78 MPH. The trailer was simple and had a 3650# car on it with nothing else except inside the EX.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am heading out to pull the fuel filter out and see what the fuel level is in it. What should I see?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited by beamer; 11-06-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Lot of info here. One step at a time. Do you have any current codes? JFYI the codes will remain until cleared or batteries disconnected for a period of time. So when reading codes it is very important to know that the code is current and not old. By your description is sounds like classic UVC harness issues. They are under each valve cover and have a connector on the inside of the valley at the rear. Pull both of these apart and look for any loose or burnt connectors. If it looks good reassemble with some dielectric grease and reconnect and start. If you have more issues, or have new codes you can PM me as I don't usually have to much time to get on here.
Good Luck
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Well,

I may very well be the cause of this issue. When I purchased the truck, an oil change was done and I have not looked at it since. We do not use the truck a whole lot - with more in the past month and a half.

I checked my oil level as I knew it was due for a change from the purchase. It was not on the stick. That seems to me that it was at least 4 qts low as the stick says that when at the add oil level, it is 2 qts low. I went and got 4 gallons of Delvac 15W40 disel oil and a filter. Drained the oil and only a little over 2 gallons came out. That tells me I was some 5 quarts low. I am calculating this caused issues with my HPOP.

I put the fuel filter back in, filled the oil, primed the filter with 1 1/2 qts oil and fired it up. It ran but surged a lot. I shut it down and disconnected the batteries for a while and charged the batteries a little as they were low a little. I then connected it all back up and started it again and it cranked for about 4 seconds and fired up. It seemed to run OK, but a little shakey.

What damage may have occurred?

Is there any way to see what pressure the HPOP is operating at? I looked through the CTS and did not see it as an option.

Thanks again in advance,
Mike
Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 AM

I took it out for a run last night and it ran just fine.

I have learned a valuable lesson here. I need to check the oil level even if the truck does have 15 quarts in it from the beginning. And that my motor does go through oil at a mildly high rate.

Is it normal to go through a quart in 1500 miles?

I do not know what was put in it when it was changed before my purchase. I know I put Delo 15W40 in it this time. Would wrong oil be consumed easier? I do have a very tiny oil leak, maybe 3 to 4 drips a week at most. I was not concerned about that - but need to pay better attention !

Mike
Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 AM

A qt in 1500miles doing towing or what?
Not really, it shouldn't use any at all but most do. Since the motor uses oil to fire the injectors, if you run out of oil, the motor will stop running. So you'll be ok.
Nope, just diesel oil is all you need. Whatever weight is up to you.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Some of the miles were towing, but many were not over the span between oil changes.

I know what is in it this time, so I will keep an eye on it from here out to see how it acts towing and not. A first test Friday taking the band trailer to northern GA for a playoff game.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.