Starter? Batteries? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter? Batteries?

I am having a hard time starting my truck. I do not drive it very often but if it sits a few days its dead.I had autozone check the alternator and they say its fine. My batteries show a sticker from 2010 but no other decals on them so I am assuming they were sold as used or reman batteries. the batteries show 12.1 volts on both with truck in off position. the starter looks old but it cranks when I jump it with another vehicle. I have cut back all my wires and replaced all my terminals ends. Should I test the voltage on the batteries while starting? Is it the starter how can i test or is it the batteries or a combination of the two?

thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can't test batteries that way....

Charge 'em up, take 'em out, have them Individually LOAD TESTED.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM

where do you get them tested at? autoparts store? it has become noticably slower to start lately and even when its dead the headlights stay on bright mode just fine so I am thinking its the starter. I just ordered one so shlould know after I install it next week. I got the High Torque model from db electric. I read good and bad things I am hoping it turns out ok. I have had a lot of trouble with reman starters in my 1st gen 7.3 i used to have not a good experience I had to put a new one in every 3 months it was terrible. lifetime warranty isnt very good when you rplace a starter 4 times in 1 yr. if this denso doesnt work out I will get a mean green. Ill have my batteries load tested If they are bad I guess Ill replace them too and mine as well do the wiries while I am at it sheesh lol
Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well, it sounds like you've ordered a good starter already

Yes, an autoparts store should be able to Load Test them.

I guess if you have the same symptoms with the new starter that would be the next move!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the same EXACT problem last week. I even took my starter to the local parts store to be tested, and it tested fine. Turns out, the starter was the problem anyway...stupid Advance Auto Parts
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Something that often gets overlooked is the parallel cable between the batteries.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM

How can the starter be the problem if the batteries are dead after sitting for a couple days? I'd suspect a current drain when the engine is off.

I just checked the batteries in my truck and see 12.59vdc with the key off.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't take the batteries to Advanced for testing, I had them do it on three seperate occasions and they were wrong. NAPA got it right. Last time the bat test said it was ok then it dropped to borderline so I replaced it. May start a 4 cyl but not the 7.3.
I just finished replacing the second battery but still a no start at 45-50 degrees. plugged in its fine so I'm going to give it a hour or so on the plug and run it to clear it out and see what happens. if I still have start issues guess we need to dig deeper.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I work at a carquest and my batteries would test ok on our machine but i had the same problem as you they didnt act like they wanted to start my truck my buddy had a snapon battery load tester and when we put a load on my battery volts droped to less than half so i guess a dead or dieing cell... but anyways you cant trust ANY auto parts stores battery testers imo
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post
How can the starter be the problem if the batteries are dead after sitting for a couple days? I'd suspect a current drain when the engine is off.

I just checked the batteries in my truck and see 12.59vdc with the key off.
No the headlights still come on bright after sitting. But the starter acts like its not getting enough power. My theory is when im jumping it that the other cr battery is helping crank the starter by keeping the starting amps up. New starter just arrived so im going out to install it an see. I havent chrged or touched the batteries since the truck wouldnt start a couple dys ago so i will put the starter in n attempt to crank it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.