Diagnose this sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Diagnose this sound

I've got a weird sound I need diagnosed if anyone has any insight.

The sound is like a hissing, sorta' what a closed EBPV sounds like through the exhaust and inside the cab. The sound I'm hearing is not very loud but enough to hear in the cab and a little outside the cab. Just noticed it recently. Sound doesn't get louder or quieter with different RPMs, constant with light throttle/no throttle. The sound does not effect how the engine runs, it's just another sound.

The sounds seems to be dependent on two things, either the gears I'm in or RPMs/Load. When in overdrive when the RPMs drop I can barely hear it - if at all, and once the turbo spools you can't hear it.. drive the PSD up to 35-40 without overdrive on, lift your foot off the go pedal and it sounds like the EBPV is closed. Seems to be coming from the firewall area, not too sure. Also, if I'm in motion and throw her in neutral the sound goes away or gets to where I can't hear it.

I've looked through the exhaust, no black soot leaking past - nothing on the firewall. Downpipe clamp is tight.

I even put compressed air up to about 5PSI (reading from the boost gauge incab) through the whole CAC system and could not duplicate the sound. I re-torqued every CAC boot clamp just to be sure, checked the plenums clamps. I checked the compressor wheel on the turbo, no play. Air filter is new.

I've unplugged the EBPV, went around the street, still there. Could the flap still mechanically be sticking somewhat shut? I unplugged the wastegate hose, still there.

The truck itself does not shift, or act different. Power is still there. At idle, can't hear anything. In short, there is nothing physically from my sense of feel different except for this sound.

Change gears from Park, to Neutral, to Drive, or Reverse to Neutral - whatever, you can hear a faint sound before it actually goes in the specified gear that reminds me of the constant sound I described.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped. I thought about driving down the street without the accessory belt on. How do you check if the wastegate is stuck open? I assumed taking off the red hose would figure that issue out.

Maybe it's normal and I'm paranoid but I swear I never heard it before! Could a pulley make this sound? Specifically my mind keeps telling me to look at the AC compressor, I've had the AC on through this whole time for the most part.

Thanks, sorry for the long post, everything should be crystal clear though.

Last edited by Lord Tauk; 08-26-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Dang no posts since 4:00? Wish I could help ya out Dave. Sorry.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

I'll figure her out! For all I know, it's nothing.

I may need to get a second opinion though just to feel better.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Reach under the turbo if you can and see if you can move the actuating arm. Not sure if you can but you can disconect it and see if it moves freely. If I remember right it just has a slide clip.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here is a pic of my old pedestal. If you look on the actuating arm you can see the clip Im talking about just slide it back and unhook the arm.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Edit: Pic helped.

however, as I stated earlier.. wouldn't just pulling the red hose off the wastegate imply that if it's stuck open or not since that is taking it out of the equation from allowing the "engineered leak" that it does?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Oh sorry Im talking about the ebpv.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

lol

Makes sense now.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Its possible you have a week spring on the wastegate actuator. One way to check is to see if you can pull the rod as the spring is pretty stiff and see if it gives any. And that round thing on the bottom of the pic with the rod is the wastegate actuator for a lack of the real term in my head! lol
Old 08-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

I didn't get too much into it as nothing appears to be wrong. Looks like I'll take a look at the things you mentioned and then go from there.

I parked the PSD to put miles on something else for now, not because of the sound issue - figure I get me some notes gathered and go at it when I get back to her, most likely I'll mess with it this coming up weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.