Low Boost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Boost?

Recently bought a used '99 F20 CC 4x4 showing 410,000 on the clock. Fixed a few leaks here and there, PS and water pump, HPOP & fuel bowl O rings - nothing major.

Installed a 14" cone filter onto the stock intake boot and removed the factory air cover along with a 4" turbo back exhaust system. I have a TS 6 position chip - stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100 and 140 and I average 15 MPG with 50/50 highway (70-75 mph) and stop and go traffic.

Installed trans temp, boost and pyrometer gauges yesterday and on the stock tune setting I'm seeing 10 to maybe 12 psi of boost (teed into the MAP line) and a max of 16 psi on the 100 and 140 hp settings. At that boost level I saw EGT just touching 1500 which seems a bit high to me for that amount of boost.

Re-checked all the boot connections under hood, nothing loose or blown off. Pulled the intake off the turbo and found that the intake wheel side of the shaft has a good bit of radial play, axial play seems very slight but I didn't try to setup a dail caliper to see what it was. Looking at the vanes on the compressor wheel it appears that they have been contacting the housing, haven't looked at the exhaust side but I did make sure the up pipe clamp was torqued also.

Having said all that, I've read that stock boost should be in the 17 psi range and tuned should see 24-26+ psi so it appears that a new turbo is needed. I got the truck to DD and on occasion pull my F150 race truck to the track and I'm not looking to break the bank on a turbo - thinking a new or reman stock unit. Question is where to get one from that is reputable and will balance the shaft during assembly so that it will last.

I am already satisfied with how the truck runs and pulls and I'm not going to change to oversize injectors, bigger HPOP or any other extremes to gain more power. I have not removed and tried to clean the intercooler either, just don't think it's clogged.

Long first post I know but all help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well couple things, one keep the temps on the egt's under 1250 above that and your gonna melt stuff. Next crawl under the truck and look at your up pipes with a flash light, if your pipes have soot all over them up by the collector, then you have an exhaust leak there causeing your low boost numbers. If they are good then might want to build a boost leak detector and take a look at your turbo wheel for play nicks...ect
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Up pipes and manifolds look good. There was a small amount of soot on the clamp of the collector inlet to the turbo but not enough to cause 8 psi of boost loss.

I think the damage was/has already been done to the turbo.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM

whats a small amount of soot? You might loose more than you think outta it. Either way if you think the turbo is toast 38r's are cheap right now (1300), but you still would have to fix the up pipe leak. Alot of people have been saying that the s366 and full install kit from irate is killer, goes for 2100 or so.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Slightly discolored. Cheap is a relative term, I'd be happy to get a new/reman stocker for 600-700 ish...

I've read about the 38r's better efficiency and power but just don't really want to spend 1500 on just a turbo - still need to rebuild the front hubs, seals and stub axles to fix up the 4 wheel drive.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:59 AM

I didn't mean cheap as in not that much money, just cheap as in cheaper than they once were. They are 1300 right now not 1500. Could always rebuild your turbo, maybe get a wicked wheel if your comp wheel is dinged up.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I saw the rebuild kits on Bean's site but it doesn't include a new exhaust wheel and shaft and I don't have a way to re-balance the shaft assembly if I rebuild it.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 AM

I rebuilt mine a while back before I got the 38r, I didn't balance it either just followed the steps off powerstroke.org, worked fine. Most kits don't come with new exhaust wheel, just the thrust bearings and stuff that is inside the turbo. There is a guy on ebay that you can do a swap deal I think with or maybe send him your shaft to be balanced when you buy his rebuild kit, but if your like me you can't be down a vehicle for that amount of time. here is the link LATE 99 00 01 02 03 FORD 7.3 TURBO POWERSTROKE TURBOCHARGER REBUILD KIT USA MADE | eBay
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a TON for the link!! Think I'll get a new exhaust wheel/shaft and the banks wheel/rebuild kit and I should be good to go. Not bad for under $400 bucks IMO.

Thanks again for all the help/info!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 AM

anytime, hope it all works out for you, if you need help removing the turbo or anything else related just post up what you got, there are a ton of knowledgeable people on here that have got me through a bunch of stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.