7.3L / T444E power loss under load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L / T444E power loss under load

I had a customer in my shop today that has a 02 F350 complaining of a lower loss when pulling under load. He had it in at the Ford dealer last week for the problem and they replaced the fuel pump and filter. 2 days later the problem returned and he took it back to the dealer to hear that his ICP sensor was bad so they replaced it. He immediately took the truck up a steep hill and the problem returned. He went directly back to the dealer and they then replaced the cam sensor. Took it up the same hill and the problem returned. They then told him that his turbo was pushing oil and his up pipes needed replaced for a mere $2400. A friend of mine told him about my shop so he brought it in. I hooked up the scanner and we went to find a big hill. When the defect occurred everything in the electronics was working properly but it was clear that the engine was starving for fuel (this situation will not set a code). I pulled it into the shop dropped the fuel tank, pulled the pickup tube and disassembled the micro screen housing and found that the screens were 90% plugged. http://mail.aol.com/34166-111/aol-6/...wMail&partId=1
I called for parts and found that you must purchase the entire sending unit assembly to get the screens and that baby was $340 so I cleaned them and flushed the tank. I charged this man $274 (and that also included $40 in fresh fuel) to repair his truck properly. The bottom line is DONT trust a shop just because the blue oval is hanging above the door!! You can go back to the same people time after time and keep getting the hinny shot or get a second opinion. I now have this customer for life because there are times when you must look outside of the electronics and do some real back to the basics wrench turning and I treated him like all customers should be treated. If you live in the Seattle area and need a professional shop that has been in business for 25 years then email me for an appointment. CJ@NWFleet.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's good to know there are still guys out there that actually know what they are doing and aren't afraid to get their hands dirty to find the actual problem. Wish I was closer, I have yet to find a good shop here in Montana that I trust.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My first thought was a hole in the pickup tube or a clog........amazing how some shops will just throw parts at a truck......good diagnosis is sometimes lost at dealerships....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.