Boost pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost pressure

Hi. I recently switched from an Edge programmer with monitor to my TC programmer that I have now. With the Edge programmer, it would read 20 psi of boost when hitting it hard. Now that I am using the TC I can only get 15 psi. I am using the Edge plugged into the odb port to read the boost pressure for all readings. Why is my psi lower and how can I turn it up. I notice the wastegate has a threaded rod on it and I have read that it can be adjusted to increase up to 25 psi on the stock turbo. I have also read to remove the red hose or unhook the power for the wastegate. What should I do and does anyone have pictures showing my dumba$$ how to do it?

On a different note, with the TC programmer when driving at highway speeds, when I press the brake pedal in seems to unlock or lock my TC? Any ideas? It didn't do it with the Edge. My truck is all messed up.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have an answer for you on this one. I can tell you that, if I'm pushing my (virtually stock) 2000 F250 hard, I can get up to 25 psi. I've had my intercooler tube boots blow off several times at that pressure so I try not to get it up that high. I'm not incredibly diesel fluent so I can't offer much more than that. My point with this- at 15 psi, it seems like you might have other issues. Maybe you have a boot that worked its way loose or have holes somewhere in the system? Good luck!

Last edited by Mustangman6799; 10-02-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
2000 F250, Automatic, 4" Banks Monster exhaust with power elbow, EBPV delete, AIH Delete, Pyro, boost and Trans gauges, DP tuner, 3.73 Limited Slip, LT275/75R18, Big A55 air filter, 5000 watt power inverter.
In that case, my truck is stock stock. But thanks for the help, I will try to see if I have a leaker.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

First of all generic tunes SUCK!!! Plain and simple. My guess is the problem isn't with your turbo/truck it is with the equipment you are using to monitor it. If you want accurate boost reading you won't get it from the OBD port on a 2001. Run a line to a real boost gauge from your Mapline or AIH location and then you will have accurate numbers. Stock is 15 to 17 , a decent performance tune should give 22-25, anything above 25 for extended periods is taking the life of the turbo and cutting it's time down.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman6799 View Post
I don't have an answer for you on this one. I can tell you that, if I'm pushing my (virtually stock) 2000 F250 hard, I can get up to 25 psi. I've had my up pipe boots blow off several times at that pressure so I try not to get it up that high. I'm not incredibly diesel fluent so I can't offer much more than that. My point with this- at 15 psi, it seems like you might have other issues. Maybe you have a boot that worked its way loose or have holes somewhere in the system? Good luck!
I would love to see what an "Up-pipe boot" blown off looks like, must have been pushing some major exhaust pressures to break the crush washers on the metal up pipes. just playing I know you meant intercooler pipes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
First of all generic tunes SUCK!!! Plain and simple. My guess is the problem isn't with your turbo/truck it is with the equipment you are using to monitor it. If you want accurate boost reading you won't get it from the OBD port on a 2001. Run a line to a real boost gauge from your Mapline or AIH location and then you will have accurate numbers. Stock is 15 to 17 , a decent performance tune should give 22-25, anything above 25 for extended periods is taking the life of the turbo and cutting it's time down.
I understand that I may not get an accurate reading from the ODB port, but it should still be the same no matter which programmer I am using right? Where do you suggest I run an actual boost gauge from? I was reading about the AIH yesterday, how guys took it out and plugged it with a Dodge drain plug and drilled it for a boost line. Is that the best place?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanan View Post
I understand that I may not get an accurate reading from the ODB port, but it should still be the same no matter which programmer I am using right? Where do you suggest I run an actual boost gauge from? I was reading about the AIH yesterday, how guys took it out and plugged it with a Dodge drain plug and drilled it for a boost line. Is that the best place?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, that way it is all reversable and you don't have to drill into your x pipe. You could do the dodge drain plug, or buy one from either riffraff or I think strictly sells one that is already pre-tapped ready to accept your 1/8 npt boost line adapter.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM

I have never even heard of a tc programer?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 AM

like this Riffraff Diesel: RDP AIH Tapped Fitting
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM

or http://http://shop.strictlydiesel.com/store.php/products/AIH_Delete_Plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boost psi, converter, red hose, wastegate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.