<Video>Check Engine Light Turning on for 60 seconds upon starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
<Video>Check Engine Light Turning on for 60 seconds upon starting

Well, haven't had the truck for a month and now I am getting a check engine light about 1 out of 5 times starting the truck.

I am noticing it is mainly coming on only during a cold start. (first time in the morning) It always goes off after about 1 minute and doesn't throw an error code. (at least not one that can be found from a Checker scanner)

When the light goes off, the idle is affected a little bit, but driving with it on or off is just fine. No side effects, just curious as to why it is coming on. Thanks.

Please watch this video to see it in action: 2002 Ford F-350 7.3L Check Engine Light - YouTube

Any thoughts?

2002 Ford 7.3L 180,000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

If you have a cali model that COULD be because it found a fault in the glow plugs? And the idle difference is the GPs turning off?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin G View Post
If you have a cali model that COULD be because it found a fault in the glow plugs? And the idle difference is the GPs turning off?
What do you mean by Cali model? The check engine light also appears (if it's going to) when the key is in the on position and before started. I have left the key on without starting for 5 minutes and the light never goes off.

The idle difference is always at the exact moment that the check engine light turns off...
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
It always goes off after about 1 minute and doesn't throw an error code. (at least not one that can be found from a Checker scanner)
Get a real scanner on it, there IS a code there.....

Our trucks are not, strictly, OBD-II and require the right tool to retrieve codes. Snap-on, MAC, Ford, most of the professional scanners will do it. Most here (including me ) will recommend the AutoEnguinity for our own use.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
What do you mean by Cali model? The check engine light also appears (if it's going to) when the key is in the on position and before started. I have left the key on without starting for 5 minutes and the light never goes off.

The idle difference is always at the exact moment that the check engine light turns off...
Cali models have a glow plug control module that will throw a check engine light if it detects a faulty glowplug.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Lots of things will throw a code ( CEL ) If the light came on, there is a code stored in the puter until you clear it, just because the light isn't on doesn't mean the code isn't still there because it is. So do it right and have to code read and go from there, unless you like throwing $$$$$$$$$$, I mean parts at a problem. The FREE scans won't work on our trucks, they are not OBDII compliant due to our GVWR. Cheapest way is buy a old Superchips 1705 tuner off Ebay for $50, the tunes are crap, don't use them, but it will read and clear codes fine. otherwise get the AE software and be able to run diagnostic tests. I have AE and love it, plus it works on gassers too!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM

Appreciate the advice guys. I had no clue these trucks weren't OBD II Compliant. I'll pick up a cheap code reader and go from there. THANKS!!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Keep us updated! Mine started doing the same thing and you're the first person I've come across that seems to have the same problem as me. My buddy has a scanner, but it's been hell trying to get with him to pick it up!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does the truck have a chip on it. My old truck had a 1211 code that would come on at once in a while and almost always on cold start it would change idle up whenever it clicked off. I'm not an expert but i figured I had a weak hpop the truck had been ragged on pretty good before I got it, or a dirty/bad ipr sensor. maybe this will help lead you in the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.