Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Temporary total electrical Failures

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  STANGMAN893 
#1 ·
Old guy new to the forum. Needing serious help. I have a 2000 F250 7.3 PSD, bought it new. Auto tranny. No problems until a couple of years ago and now recently again. Problem manifests in this way. Either just starting the truck and then having it die or drive to a stop and have it die. When it dies, the entire electrical system goes down. No electicals anywhere. No lights , no dash, no start, no wipers, simply nothing. Like both ground cables from the batteries had been lifted. Just freaking quits. Period. But, wait a couple of minutes and the door chime starts up, the dash comes back to life as does all the other electricals. Hit teh starter and it starts as if nothing has happened. Two days ago it did tis again. In Ely, Nevada. Pulled in at the gas station, shut it off, potty break, no restart. Except wait a couple of minutes and viola. It starts as if nothing has happened. There is one underlying condition. It has always been wet when it happens. Not a frog strangler, just wet roads. This truck has dual alternators so one of those is way down low. Have checked evey fuse in the system, no failures. Now as a result of the recent issue the overhead console appears to be dead completely. Batteries are being charged at 14.8 volts or so, and when not running batteries show 12.8 volts. I have a manual on cd and so far have failed to find anyting that would cause this issue.

Any help out there...most of my old hair is gone from pulling it out, lol...

larry mayfield aka drmayf
worlds fastest sunbeam. period
flying mile: 204.913 mph
top speed: 210.779 mph

See less See more
#2 ·
Check all your electrical cables to and from the batteries. Bad connections possibly. Check the ground cables.
Also, the OTC could be a couple of resistors that have bad solders and fell out. The fix for it is somewhere on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.