Possible to not have a carrier bearing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible to not have a carrier bearing?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed all the information everyone provides. I've read a lot about the drive line shudder from the carrier bearing that so many have experienced. I am experiencing a slight shudder that I'm trying to find the source of. I went to check the carrier bearing and see if mine is shimmed and couldn't see what I would call a carrier bearing. I've got a 2000 F-250 extended cab, short bed, 4x4 with no lift that seems to have a one piece drive shaft. It goes straight from the transfer case to the rear diff. Are there any F-250's that do not have a carrier bearing or am I mistaken as to what one actually is?

By the way, I've only noticed the shudder when starting out and making a right or left turn, usually up a hill. It shudders just a little worse with a heavy load. It doesn't have a problem pulling up a hill in a straight line from a stop. Engine power feels real good and the truck accelerates without any trouble when I ask it to, even when shuddering. I can't feel any real evidence of transmission slipping and I just changed the tranny fluid and filter, both looked good with no real amount of metal in the pan, just a thin film of grey sludge, especially around the drain magnet (probably extremely fine metal particles). The truck has 105k on it, pretty sure everything is original and there are no real power adders other than straight pipe exhaust.

Any thoughts or should I just ignore it? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM

I could be wrong but there should only be a carrier bearing with a 2 piece driveshaft. I have one on my crew cab long bed.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i believe the manufacturer uses the carrier bearing in the longer models such as the crew cab short bed, or long bed to help support the longer driveshafts. i dont know if the supercabs have them or not , so yes it is possible to have a truck w/out the carrier bearing.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM

I am not a 4 wheel drive guy but it may be something in the hubs, I would not ignore it. I am sure someone with more info will post. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.