Fuel bowl drain valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel bowl drain valve

Hi all-

Discovered fuel leaking out of the drain valve that comes out of the back of the fuel filter enclosure. Purchased a few viton o-rings and installed them. The leak has stopped but now no fuel will drain when I open the valve (it also opens hard now with the new o-rings).

A few questions...

1) The o-rings seemed somewhat thick - had to crank the bolts down all the way to squish the o-rings into place. Could the o-rings have become distorted from compressing them? Could they have ben flattened out to the point where it is actually blocking the drain hole?

2) I used a dab of grease to hold the o-rings in place on the valve when I re-installed - could the grease have worked its way into the drain hole and even then is it enough to obstruct the flow of fuel out of the bowl?

3) Any good tutorials you guys aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
no, grease did not hurt anything. Try maybe, unhooking the rubber line oiff the back. Bees like to make nests in it. Or it may be clogged for another reason. You can also just open the valve, then put the key in the on position so the fuel pump will run for a second. The 60 psi of fuel pressure will clean the line. It will spray fuel on the frame but just hose it off.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 AM

It was actually draining properly prior to the o-ring change out thats why I think something else happened.

Any other thoughts other than pulling that dang thing apart again?

Edit: I do have the drain line currently detached from the valve.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
any chance the white plastic internals are put in backwards ,so that you are not opening the valve even though you are turning it?
thats all i can think of
Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 AM

Update: Opened valve and turned ignition on to send fuel into the bowl. It was being pushed out of the bottom of the valve. This to me indicates the O ring isnt seated.

The guts of the valve appear to be working fine (at least they were when I installed it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.