Battery and charging problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery and charging problem

Hello all,

I could use some help here. I may have 2 problems here. I may have a bad battery to start with. I have already replaced one Exide battery that I determined bad and the other is looking bad.

I have had an intermittant charge light on my EX. The funny thing, I would get the light and the voltage reading on my CTS gauge for battery would be 12.8 to 13 volts when the light would be on. I troubleshot the problem with the service manual and found nothing wrong yet. Every sonce I went through the troubleshooting proceedure (ABOUT 6 STEPS), the light did not come on anymore. I did put chargers on each battery for a while to give them a full charge, maybe this helped.

Yesterday, I went to start the truck after sitting for like 3 days. The batteries were low and I had to charge them for a while - maybe 20 minutes(I charge them individually after removing one negative battery terminal). The truck started and I drove for 20 minutes and the battery gauge on my CTS showed 13.2 volts and was charging. We came back from the high school football game and when starting the truck, it was sluggish to start from low batteries. I had a battery charge light. It would not go away. It used to go away when intermittant by revving the motor a little and it may even return until driving a while. We had to rush and head home as I saw the battery voltage dropping lower and lower. I got down to around 8.0 volts on my gauge and all out of nowhere... THE ALTINATOR STARTED CHARGING ! ! !

My voltage went up to 12+ to 13 volts and my lights brightened right up like a good truck.

What the heck could be going on here? I do believe I may have another bad Exide battery on the driver side. That company sucks. I called them to see how to warranty the first bad found battery - less than a year old - replaced by the guy I purchased the truck from in Alabama. I had to have the receipt and take it back to the place it was purchased at. What a crock of poop. They must sell junk, in my opinion to not stand behind their product. There is a manufactured date imprinted into the battery. Not just a sticker with tabs to pull off for when it was purchased.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I have a bad battery and a bad ground somewhere. I don't know.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
For starters... sounds like the alternator is bad.. I'd pull and test it.

Second, did you ever load test the batteries to make sure they were good/bad?

Third, you should always replace in pairs, if one is weaker than the other the older/weaker one will pull down the new one, shortening it's life.

Lastly, you really should disconnect the batteries all the way when charging them.... as they are connected together.

Good luck with the fix!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:02 PM

I know the battery was bad. It has been replaced !

After replacing it, I fired the truck up and the battery charge light was on. I was showing 12.0 volts. After running for some 10 seconds, the light went out and the truck was showing 13+ volts for the battery. I wonder if there is some sort of a delay for the altinator to charge the batteries.

Even after I fired te truck up several times. the charge would be off, and the voltage would not show a charging value until after running for a little while.

Is this normal?

Mike
Old 08-29-2011, 04:31 PM

No, that is not normal. U most likely need a new alternator.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM

You may very well be correct. I have noticed since, that the light no longer comes on. I will see a 12Volt on my gauge for about 4 to 6 seconds and then it climbs right up to 12.8 at idle and makes its way to 13.2 when driving. When I stop at a light, I am at 13 volts.

I will observe over the next few weeks while driving. No long trips planned for a little while to see what happens.

Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Lower 13s at idle perhaps but should be near 14 when running. Unless u have accessories on it should typically not go below 13.

Sent from my fone.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM

had an issue with my batt. discharging after two or more days sitting without starting.this was with brand new batteries....I had the alternator replaced and the 10 gage lug connector replaced also because of rust.... no more issues strating.... good luck....
Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if you have a voltage regulator check and replace
Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you haven't fixed the problem yet, you said one battery is dead. Replace both of them, and test your altinator. Not just hook up and see if its getting power, no kidding take it off and run it. You'd be suprised how it reacts. I'd be willing to bet that if you replace your alternator and get new batteries, you'll be fine.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

OK, we have been driving the truck more often now with my sons bug down. He left an interior light on once for about 7 hours and another time overnight that ran the batteries down to not start without help. I overlooked that, even though it seemed like they shoud do better from an interior light.

I believe the altinator will occassionally drain the batteries down also. BTW... Both batteries are new Interstate batteries from Costco, maybe 6 months old.

I purchased a NEW duralast gold lifetime altinator today and installed it.

What I saw before and still see, it I get no voltage charge until the motor runs for about 40 seconds or so. No charge light, just sits around 12.1 Volts. Then I climb to 14.1V at idle.

Is this normal?

I have instructed my son to keep an eye on the volt display and look for the light to come on any.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.