2000 Ford 7.3 dies while driving NEED HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 2000 Ford 7.3 dies while driving NEED HELP

I have a 2000 ford 7.3 that is acting up on me just here recently and need help trying to find the problem. My truck had died on and left me stranded 3 times in the past 2 days. i was going 70 down the highway and it just dies. As if it just all of a sudden has no fuel. I tried dumping the clutch when this happens and nothing. If I let it sit for about 45 mins to 1.5 hours it will start. If it does not start all you hear is the starter turning and the truck would not even try to turn over. It has thrown 3 codes and now it only shows one which is exhaust pressure sensor is out and the other two was to much injection and injection is to much/or less. I cannot remember them exactly. I have changed the cps, changed the oil and filter, and the fuel filter today and it drove 22 miles and died again and left me stranded for over an hour on the side of I20. This is my daily driver vehicle so i need to get it fixed without spending money on unneeded items. Seeing how I have to pay for my college and bills now (man it sucks growing up). I have a drop in K&N air filter, 4 inch turbo back exhaust with a muffler, and a EDGE evolution programmer. If any one could help me I would appreciate it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

by cps do you mean crank position sensor... if not there is a recall on at least 2000 and 1999 7.3s for intermittent stalling from the cam position sensor. they replaced mine free of charge with an updated design
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had the same problem with mine. it was the cps. this is a ford recall. you should check your replacement. if i remember correctly the black cps is original and the white is the replacement. you could probably search cps here and find out for sure. hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the cps ford offers in the recall is gray thats what ford put in my truck.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Try and get the motor to stall again, when it does pull the icp sensor out and have someone crank the motor over, only quickly. If little or no oil come from the icp hole in the oil rail. Then your ipr sensor is bad (fading). The ipr is what regulates the oil from the hpop to run the injectors. If there is not oil the injectors will not fire. You can also put a t in that port and hook up a gauge and the icp sensor. This way is cleaner that the first way I told you. But in a pinch it works. But you need a high pressure gauge 1000 psi is what I use(hydraulic gauge).
Like I said before if you don't have above..... 800psi ( I believe it may be a little less) the injectors will not fire. I have fixed 4 trucks with the same symptoms as yours 2 were cps and 2 were IPR but since you have changed the cps I would say its ok(but don't completely rule it out. . That's what the ipr looks like. Its located a on the. Back side( turbo side) on the hpop on the drivers side
Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the post everyone. I took my truck to the ford house and they said it was my lpop. And they wanted $3000 to fix it. So I put a melling m208 in my self and it worked for over a week. But today the truck died on a turning lane in the middle of town. So im going to try the icp sensor today when someone is home to help me. And i already have a new cps
Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that picture of the injection regulator can definately be the issue. The Cranking oil pressure from the hpop would be important info to have to help diagnose. You need a good snap on type scanner. As stated the truck needs 500 psi to start. I recently fixed a similar problem on a truck and the ipr was bad(part in photo)

Last edited by melmount; 09-12-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so where would the best place to get a gauge to check the oil pressure. Also what do you mean by a good sap on type scanner. thanks for the reply
Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
oops, snap-on tools. It will read data. You need to know ipr pressure while cranking the motor over with the starter,
The ipr valve regulator can be tempermental as you are describing
Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does the edge evolution programer read ipr pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.