Fuel Delivery Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Fuel Delivery Problem

ISSUE: running well for 15-20 min. then loss of power and stalling/dying. Have to wait with engine off the longer the better, then continue to drive to get home.

HISTORY: Just bought 99' 7.3L Econoline Van with known bad torque converter. The van is very straight and undersides are dry with no leaks. With bad converter it still ran well just had an obnoxious noise. Before replacing I drove about 300 miles. In that time I lossed power on a steady mountain pass and knew i needed a fuel filter. I had Converter replaced(tranny in good condition). Drove back home 100 miles and was stalling along the way. At home I replaced fuel filter (extremely dirty!!) and fuel bowl was 1/3 full of silt. I cleaned the bowl thoroughly and now water could escape from the drain when triggered. also learned previous owner would run old home heater oil straight into tank as he was an HVAC guy.

ITEMS DONE:
TORQUE CONVERTER
TRANNY FILTER/FLUID
AIR FILTERS
OIL CHANGE DELO 400 W/ REISLON QUART
BATTERIES
FUEL FILTER
CLEAN FUEL BOWL
DROP AND CLEAN FUEL TANK (lots of corrosion on lining, rust like)
BOSCH FUEL PUMP
RAN ENGINE AND DROVE WHILE HOOKED UP TO COMPUTER W/ MECHANIC
NO CODES
DROVE UNTILL FAILURE WITH PRESSURE GAUGE AFTER FUEL PUMP.(pump would work fine, but when high demand pressure would drop to 0 and would recover very slowly if at all. Once van was turned off for 10 minutes, pressure would rebuild and it would drive again for a short while) *this was before new fuel pump was installed.

CURRENT STATUS:
Drives awful and dies with symptoms of fuel starvation only when under load. At idle it sounds great and will hold idle for long time.

Q's

1. Can fuel pick-up become clogged on the inside of pickup unit. Not the screen, I removed screen before re-installing tank and will try a primary fuel filter, but within the guts.

2. Could this be a fuel pressure regulator?

3. I know oil pressure commands the injectors. where is the oil reservoir or place to check pressure?

Thanks people, this is my first post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Ouch, used fuel oil in the tank! Seriously? The inside of the fuel tank could be so corroded that you are continually picking up junk.

The oil could have fubared the high pressure oil pump at the front top of the engine.

Try some Diesel 911?

Sounds very much like a 99 we have that we had to replace the entire fuel tank, only after the dealer said they could clean it on the truck and replace the low psi fuel pump and clean the fuel system.

Cost us close to 1200 since the tank was a hard find (it was an ambulance).

good luck
Old 08-19-2011, 06:29 AM

if it is fuel pressure problems, there are a couple things that can be done, under the cab the electric fuel pump is located and you could find a way to test its pressure. also if there was alot of crap in the fuel, if you are standing in front of your truck facing the motor, on the right side, at the top there is a fitting held in place by a couple torx screws and it has the fuel return line attatched. This fitting is very fragile so be carefull. This fitting is also your pressure regulator for the low pressure sifde of the fuel delivery and if it has crap in it it may be stuck part open and not allow full fuel delivery. low pressure will make you think filter may be plugged. also if your fuel level in the tank is under 1/4 there is a mixing valve in the tank that might be sucking up excessive air and causing fuel delivery problems. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1999 7.3l, fuel pressure, fuel problems, smoke, stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.