E99" F250 SD PSD 7.3 Engine Miss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E99" F250 SD PSD 7.3 Engine Miss

Hey - so to start off, I figure i picked up a bad tank of fuel, as my truck started to run crappy, so i decided to change the fuel filter, once the housing was opened i seen the diesel looked very poor, and not long after i got the " water in fuel" light.
So after driving to work in the morning, I stopped to pick up some parts, when i started the truck again, and tried to accelerate quickly, around roughtly 2600 rpm, the truck kind of stuttered or missed.

I limped the truck to work, once work was over ( as i work in a hd shop), i brought my truck in and drained the fuel, tank + bowl, I replaced with brand new fuel.

I still feel a slight hesitation when accelerating, i havent had a chance to take it on the highway yet and get it up to temp since i got the cruddy fuel out

my first thought was an injector, I watched for smoke or rough start when it was cold this morning, nothing, it idles perfect, drives great, its just when you romp on it it hesitates (right around 2600rpm). I have a friend bringing his snapon code reader out of camp on friday to check for codes, try injector cut out and cyl contribution.

I'm just hoping someone will tell me in in the right direction, I'm wondering if im not getting enough fuel flow, maybe the poor fuel w/ water ate my fuel pump?

I'm just looking for any help i can get, thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 AM

So I'm having what I think is an identical issue with my E99 F250 PSD! I was wondering what you found out about your truck??? I had two bad injectors and replaced them and purged the air out of the system but the next day my truck missed/surged at around 2500 to 2600 RPM under acceleration and not every time as if there was more air in the lines.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM

So I think I may have found the problem...but still wondering if this was your fix? I had two injectors go bad internally while driving down the road so it died. I got a CEL for the CPS so since it was 7:30 in the morning I went to the local parts store to get a CPS instead of the Ford house. That didn't fix the truck and I found out I had the bad injectors. Once replacing them I had a miss from about 2400 to 2600 RPM on acceleration and I thought it might be air in the system. Well after not getting any CEL codes and fuel pressure 52-60 psi and banging my head against the wall I decided to put the old CPS back in place of the cheap aftermarket one. That seemed to fix the problem!!! I took it out and it didn't miss, stuttor, stumble, hesitate, jerk, lurch or anything. So this may have been the problem that it was a faulty CPS from the start!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Had the same type of problem,but I noticed that the weather changed .It dropped 40 degrees and I think that was enought for condensation in the tank.I to changed the cps because everyone thinks they're a problem. I'd like to protect the truck s fuel,but there are just as many opinions.
Everyone says to protect the injuctors use a filter.Everyone who sells injectors saysit doesn't help.
Water in the fuel causes the problem.Bacteria,condensation,,,,who sells us this crap.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 AM

Greenie,

I'm not too sure what you meant by your post, but I would say that if you haven't put a filter in before the fuel pump that would not hurt anything. I can only imagine that it would help the pump last longer and as you suggested it would help elongate the injector life. But I do tend to wonder why auto industries don't add filters before any kind of pump! Like the lift pump for the Dodge Cummins that gets knocked out by crud then which causes the injector pump to work harder eventually knocking it out!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Their must be an alternative to a foss or other 550 $ filters.Besides,Im not to sure I don't have a rain only problem.I have been looking at filters,fuel,and pump preformance,but this truck misfires when it rains.
Maybe a wire harness to the cpu under the fender. Still though,fuel integerity sucks.poorly.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM

Yeah, I would say that if you haven't been all over a PSD and tore everything down, you're gonna get stumped at least once! For your issue I would say that if it misses ONLY when it rains then you are most definitely getting moisture where there shouldn't be. Two thoughts. Has it ever missed when you drove through a big puddle after it was done raining? Second, it could be possible that you have a wear spot/split/opening in your fuel tank that could be letting water in from the top. Noticed any fuel smells after filling her all the way up? I guess you could start by disconnecting all your wiring connectors and clean them with electrical contact cleaner then put them back together and add a little dialectric grease to the seal to keep water out. Then I'd say look for any wear points on the wiring harness from the injectors to the IDM. I'm not sure the path it takes???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.