May have fuel flow problems? not sure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
May have fuel flow problems? not sure

I will try to make this short

I bought an '01 F250 7.3 at auction with about 235,000 miles.

Drove it for about 6 months, had some issues that I could not get fixed. Mainly it would die when I let off of the gas pedal preparing to stop. Most time it would crank back up, sometimes not until the next day. Very aggravating when 2 hours from home and camping.

Mechanic has truck awhile and tells me it needs a new motor. After lengthy discussion, I ordered a long block and a bunch of parts. Here is a list that I can think of right now..

New Injectors (tested and retested at great expense)
Rebuilt Turbo
New high pressure oil pump
Rebuilt icm and main computer (forgive my non-mechanic terminology)

After all of this is installed, my mechanic cannot get it running right. It has no power. He sends it to another mechanic who he says are the top 7.3 folks around here. They cannot get it running right. It has no power.

I take it to a local Ford dealership and their diesel mechanic takes it home and he has had it for going on 6 months now. He has removed the fuel tank and cleaned and checked the (filter?) in the tank, checked the installation of all of the parts I bought. He is sure that the problem does not lie in the new engine, but somewhere behind.

He replaced the fuel filter housing and he said that it was running great, but it had a small fuel leak that he now needed to fix. Once he fixed the fuel leak, he said it was back to running bad again but he thought he knew what the problem was. He said something about a sensor that might need to be replaced (I think that was what he said).

I am no mechanic, but have worked on my various cars in a small capacity all of my life. This is my second diesel, but first big diesel (had a Jeep Liberty with a small diesel in it, but did not work on it).

Has anyone had an issue similar? Banging my head against the wall because I have not been able to use my truck since last September or so and the grief from the family about not getting to go camping is squarely sitting on me.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
The first thing you describe (stalling out on you) sounds like either a fuel issue, or a CPS/other sensor. A new CPS if around $30, and only use a Ford one.

Next, is the fuel bowl getting fuel, and was the pressure ever tested?

Most importantly, is there any codes? CEL on? (CEL=Check engine light)

Does the WTS (Wait to start) light come on/off like normal?

What mods have been done to it?

At this point, sounds like you need to get a hold of a good scanner than can do full diagnostic tests, specifically a buzz test. Sounds like you threw a lot of money at it because your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing.

Personally, I reccomend Auto Enginuity, it's definately worth the money if you are having issues and want to learn/fix it yourself.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply

The first thing you describe (stalling out on you) sounds like either a fuel issue, or a CPS/other sensor. A new CPS if around $30, and only use a Ford one.

I will definately check on this

Next, is the fuel bowl getting fuel, and was the pressure ever tested?

Fuel bowl is getting fuel, I'm not sure if it was pressure tested. Another item to check on

Most importantly, is there any codes? CEL on? (CEL=Check engine light)

There are no codes, and i think that is what is frustrating the different mechanics mostly

Does the WTS (Wait to start) light come on/off like normal?

Yes

What mods have been done to it?

None, it is absolutely stock

At this point, sounds like you need to get a hold of a good scanner than can do full diagnostic tests, specifically a buzz test. Sounds like you threw a lot of money at it because your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing.

I can't argue this point at all. I am pretty sure that all 3 mechanics have put the truck on machines, but as far as running a full diagnostic, I am not sure. I will check.

Personally, I reccomend Auto Enginuity, it's definately worth the money if you are having issues and want to learn/fix it yourself.

Thanks again for the reply. I am not so bad so far on the money (about $1700 in labor) but the parts have added up.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update on issues

Current mechanic (a Ford diesel mechanic) removed the turbo and I sent it back to Thoroughbred Diesel. They found that the fins on the turbine had been damaged, chewed up by some foreign object. Also the circular butterly valve going to the exhaust was sticking. They rebuilt it and sent it back to me and the mechanic installed it. Ran great for a moment, but then went back to having no power. Any suggestions or offers on this truck?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I'll give ya a grand for it!

LOL.

Anyway, when are running it, remove the oil-fill cap and see how much smoke is coming out. Place a ping-pong ball or the cap upside-down and see if it has pressure to blow the cap off. (Not vibrate off.)

Did you try unplugging the ICP and running it? Did the new HPOP come with a new IPR?

Does it smoke out the exhaust at all? Starting? Running? What color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.