Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Battery light...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CamTom12 
#1 ·
Well, I'm about ready to push this thing in the river and collect the insurance...

Now I've got a battery light on. The last time this came on I had to replace my alternator (stock one). I've got the lifetime warranty AutoZone one on there now so it won't cost me any money to do that, but the one that's on there is only 4 months old... Also, the batteries are 4 days old.

What else can trip this light? I'm going to check all the fuses in the distribution block at lunch

#3 ·
Make sure and charge your batteries before putting the new alternator in service. Low batteries can kill a new alternator in a short time. Could have been what happened to your alternator, because new batteries are not always fully charged when you get them.

Jim

#4 ·
I aggree, how ever have you ever replaced your accessory drive belt. If that belt is stretched and not applying the proper tension on the alternator pulley. It maybe slipping and not spinning the alternator pulley fast enough. Just something to look at as well.

#5 ·
oh, now the belt I didn't even think about!

I'll have to pick one of those up as well as a new alt. The alt. is free so that's no biggie and I'm pretty sure the belt's not slipping but it's a good, cheap thing to replace for peace of mind. I bet this all came about from when my dome light was shorted and drained my batteries below 8v.

The new batts are showing about 13-14v (top right corner of the battery picture in the gauge), so they should be fine, right?

#6 ·
They should be - change the Alty and see where that gets you - the parts store alty's are known to go out regularly.

#7 ·
Parts store stuff is like the stealer fix ..They do olny the minimual replacement ie they would olny replace 1 of the 4 dioeds so remeber the parts stuff and the stealer will do olny hte minium to get it working... Bill get Alt. new belt , charge the batts 2 full .. than start good luck ....Bill...

#8 ·
Yeah, alternator was bad, the regulator specifically.

She's running, still rough from the injector miss, but running again finally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.