Low Boost Pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Boost Pressure

I bought my Early 99 California model F350 a few months ago. It always felt pretty gutless and I assumed it was a turbo issue; after checking countless problems such as EBP Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor (which did need cleaned by the way), map sensor, replaced ball joints (which also needed taken care of). It all boiled down to this; I was pressurizing my turbo system and air was coming out as fast as I could put it in. I felt around and as it turns out the pedestal was not connected at all. Air was simply dumping out so after the removal of my passenger side boot, I reached in there hooked it up with the clip (which was luckily still there).

I took the truck out for a drive using a cheap boost gauge I had bought for the occasion and viola, it laid me back in my seat. Boost pressure when flooring it hit nearly 20 psi. I had recently been pulling a 25' horse trailer and while flooring it previous to the fix I only got a max of 14 psi not evenly through the gears either. The boost pressure after the fix was evenly through the gears and my truck even sounded better.

Thanks to all those who have posted on this site, this is just a small payback for all the help I received; perhaps this can save someone a lot of time and a lot of gas money. My mpg in the truck never hit above 13 previous to this and I have checked it on every fill-up. I am interested to see what I get now; I will try to post my new mpg after I take another long trip.

Have a great day and don't forget to vote when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went on a few drives since then and am now getting 15.5-16.5 MPG in town and highway driving whether towing or not.

I just today got a chip from Tony Wildman at Total Diesel Performance. A Terminator T500 HPOP from Terminator Engineering. A 4" downpipe made by MBRP from Amazon. This has all really given my truck a massive gain in power, torque, and acceleration. No I do not have the truck dyno'd so I will not even try to give a HP/torque increase. But the feel is amazing and is just what I've been missing. All the places listed above are great at what they do and are very upstanding businesses.

I plan on updating my new MPG after all these upgrades and a few more trips loaded and unloaded.

The products I got were all exceptional in their build quality and appearance. These are of course initial impressions but I will try to keep up to date on how things are working.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM

I'm wanting to look for leaks too. Can you post photos of where to look or feel or a video? (or link to one?) I tied string onto a wire and fished around but didn't find anything, other than the cooling fan blowing the string around.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pictures of my boost leak search.

When I searched for my boost leak I used a regulated air compressor, 3" ABS cap and valve stem. I charged my system slowly to 4 PSI with the truck off and listened to my truck for leaks. I slowly charged my turbo system to 15 PSI and listened for more leaks.

All of these pictures are to help me remember things personally on my truck. No one else should listen to what I say in these pictures as I am probably wrong and I hold no liability for anyone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Low Boost Pressure-truck-1.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-2.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-3.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-4.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-5.jpg  

Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More Pictures for me.

The file size limit on this is terrible and I can hardly read my notes on the pictures. There is also a limit of 5 pictures per post. If there is a way of uploading larger images someone please let me know and thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Low Boost Pressure-truck-6.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-7.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-8.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-9.jpg   Low Boost Pressure-truck-10.jpg  

Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck!

And finally here is a picture of my early 99 work truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Low Boost Pressure-truck-11.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pictures in my pictures.

I saved the pertinent pictures to this thread in my pictures under my profile. They are much larger there and can be easily read. They are just posted in reverse order now.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Thank you for posting those pictures! That'll help a lot. So it looks like there's 4 boots (2 up top, 1 on the y pipe under those, and 1 up front to the intercoolers), and they're the likely places to find leaks?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 AM

Is the CCV the snorkel looking thing in the hard plastic section of the intake tube? What did you use to plug it?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakir View Post
Thank you for posting those pictures! That'll help a lot. So it looks like there's 4 boots (2 up top, 1 on the y pipe under those, and 1 up front to the intercoolers), and they're the likely places to find leaks?
There are actually 6 boots. Two on top. Two going down towards the engine. Two inter-cooler boots (1 on each side at the front of the truck down under the batteries). Where the "Y" pipe connects to the turbo is all metal but there is a coupler there I pointed out that has an O-ring that can leak badly if not tight enough. These areas have the highest likely-hood of a boost leak but are not the only places. I just listened closely for leaks which cannot be done with the truck on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
low boost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.