Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is THIS Sound? Truck Won't Start.

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ToMang07 
#1 ·

Ok, so first let me state that I have never had any problems starting, I have been having ongoing problems while running the last week, and there is obviously SOMETHING electrical broken. I personally have 2 suspects... but would like some other opinions.

Before the "take it to a dealer" starts, my mechanic can't help me, and I don't have the money for a tow, (Over 40 miles to ANY FORD dealer) and no money to pay the dealer right now, anyway.

Problems of the last few days:

When Driving, the Power would shut off, OD Off light would come on, the Water in Fuel (WIF) and the CEL would all come on. Happened many times, each time WIF, CEL, OD lights come on, and the truck almost but not quite shut off, drops into 3rd gear, nd wouldnt go into OD. Truck would reset after shut off and re-started.

Then (Same day) the power went off all together, and would not start, WTS light would come on but not turn off. Removed ALL fuses, all checked good, THEN truck would start, after removing all the fuses and replacing them.

Yesterday, started truck in the garage, ran for 5 minutes and died. Pulled all fuses again, started again, drove 20 feet down driveway,(mad dash to the mechanic) truck died all together, just made the above "clicking" sound.

I removed the PHP chip, I also removed both batteries, charged each for 3 hours on 10amp/12volt, no difference. Now the dash lights come on for a second or two, then all go off, the gauges freak out, and the WTS light flickers, then shuts off like normal. Odometer is also VERY dim, and flickers a little.

Thoughts? The truck will be sitting for a week at least, as I don't get paid for almost 2 weeks, and have no money/means to move it right now.

Thanks for the input folks.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...roblems/200322-random-hiccup-new-problem.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...0762-really-starting-regret-buying-truck.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Checked it, not too much corrosion, mostly just the nut itself. Lubed it up w/ dialetic grease and put it back together.

I did just get back from NAPA, and they say my batteries are dead. So now I have THAT to throw into the mix. :doh:

Not sure if they died from working on the truck or over time, but again, I haven't been having starting problems until the truck acted up. :dunno:

I will take them tomorrow to advance auto and have them check the batteries as well, (second opinion) and I decided to pull/check the alternator too.

I will have both batteries and the alternator tested tomorrow.... however, I did find something interesting when I pulled the alternator:

So now I'm even more confused, but maybe this will be the "fix" to my problems. Hopefully the alternator will check out OK, but with the CRACK in the housing, it probably should be replaced. More money. Yay. :banghead:

Probably gonna get the Walmart batteries, they are $100 each w/ a 3 year replacement. I would prefer Die-Hards, but I am not paying $450 for batteries. :tard:

#4 ·
I would get a multimeter and see what the alternator is putting out when the truck is running. Judging by the video, probably have a few dead cells in your batteries if the alternator check out good.

There is nothing wrong with the Walmart batteries, thats what I run in my truck. They are Everstart Maxx 65N batteries. These are the correct specs for your truck. (Just had to do this on my truck a few months ago)

I wouldnt worry too much about the crack at the moment since money is tight. It shouldnt alter the function of the alternator.

#5 ·
Well, the results are in, BOTH Advance Auto and NAPA say the alternator passes, even w/ the housing crack.:tard:

However, NAPA said BOTH batteries failed their test. Advance Auto said 1 battery failed, (Bad Cell) and 1 is good, jut needs to be charged. :dunno: (460CCA vs. the 850CCA it's supposed to have.)

So, definately looks like 2 new batteries are in my future. I have enough for 1 battery now, but not both, so I guess I will wait another week or whatever and buy the other one when I can...

I will be getting the Die Hards, they have the same warranty as the wally-world ones, but that are 880CCA vs. 850CCA.... might make a big difference this winter! :wink[3]:

God, I hope I don't get pulled over in my car! :look: (No sticker. :doh:)

#8 ·
My PCM is dry, I pulled it out 2x... once to check it, and once to remove the chip. I also took the fuse pannel down and checked behind it, (it was raining out) no sign of water or moisture anywhere.

I also had these problems when the truck was dry, when it died the other day it had been sitting in the garage for 3 days.... so water doesn't appear to be a factor.

#9 ·
Update...

Ok, Update time:

So, I replaced the batteries with a pair of Die-Hard 880CCA... and it started right up. :woot:

Thats the Good News.

Now the bad: Still randomly "stalling" on me, although withouth the christmas-tree effect of random lights turning on.... it just stalled on me (foot was off the throttle) on a slight decline. :doh:

Unlike before, now it seemed to be just a stall... So maybe a CPS change is in order. (I will try to get to a Ford Dealer ASAP.) I am however still getting a CEL at WOT with my chip in.... so the HPOP or something else is def. on it's way out. :tard:

When I went to restart it, initially it wouldn't start. (One try.) I turned off all the electronics, removed the key, counted to ten, tried again, and it started right back up. :dunno: All lights seemed to be normal.

I still plan to get a code-reader, still undecided on AE, a Snap-On Scanner, or just an Edge Insight CS. Ugh. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.