7.3 cold start problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 cold start problem

I have a 2000 F250 7.3. About a month ago, the truck seemed slow to start and seemed to stumble slightly under power. Then it died under power when taking an Interstate exit. It restarted on the third to fourth try. Took it to a mechanic who found no error codes, and replaced the cam position sensor. He took it for a drive and it died again. He suggested it might be due to a near empty gas tank, though the low fuel indicator level had not been reached. I filled it up and it has run well under power since. Problem is, it continues to be hard to start cold, though the outside temperature hovers around 90 degrees. Took it to have the batteries checked and found one bad battery. Replaced the battery and it still is hard to start first thing in the morning. Turns over fast at first, then slow, then get nothing when the ignition is turned. Wait a moment and it starts up. I donít know where to go next. Bad starter? Bad fuel delivery. I assume glow plugs are not the issue due high outside temperature. Any help will be appreciated.
GB Mayes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

you said something about , turns fast then slow, that could be starter beginning to go, but you also said something about when it does that when you cycle the key it doesnt do anything , can you ellaborate more on that
Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hard start cold

Thank you Scuffy:
What I was trying to describe, poorly, about the starting, is that it behaves pretty much like you would expect from a weak battery. It turns over at first, but doesn't fire up immediately. When I crank it again, it turns slow, like the battery just doesn't have much juice. Then finally, when I turn the ignition I get that dead battery "click" or nothing at all. And yet the batteries are hot, and the the cables are on tight. If I wait a moment, and turn the ignition on again, it will likely fire right up. On a gas car I would guess the starter would be the problem but I've seen so much about glow plugs, glow plug relays, gas pumps, and cam position sensors I wonder if something else might more likely be the cause.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM

It's a good idea to replace your batteries in pairs, the bad one may have taken the other with it.. Those symptoms can also indicate a bad connection. A poor connection tends to heat up and when metals get hot, conductivity decreases somewhat and the expansion may even break the connection. Clean ALL ends of your heavy cables, even the grounds.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmayes View Post
Thank you Scuffy:
What I was trying to describe, poorly, about the starting, is that it behaves pretty much like you would expect from a weak battery. It turns over at first, but doesn't fire up immediately. When I crank it again, it turns slow, like the battery just doesn't have much juice. Then finally, when I turn the ignition I get that dead battery "click" or nothing at all. And yet the batteries are hot, and the the cables are on tight. If I wait a moment, and turn the ignition on again, it will likely fire right up. On a gas car I would guess the starter would be the problem but I've seen so much about glow plugs, glow plug relays, gas pumps, and cam position sensors I wonder if something else might more likely be the cause.
i just had a truck in the shop with the exact same concern , acted like dead batteries, walked away from it came back ,and it would crank fine , i started by testing the batteries mine were good, checked grounds at engine and all cable ends at batteries , clean if needed , check all connections at glow plug relay , starter solenoid , and main wires going into both fuse boxes , my problem ended up being the fuse box in the dash going out , some of the early 99 and 00 truck had a fuse box that would seperate internally and cause similiar symptom , not sayingn that is your problem , thats why i say check all connections good before buying anything
Old 08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you again Sabre2th and Scruffy828. I followed up on Scruffy's suggestion about the starter. It tested as having a bad solenoid. I replaced it and so far it seems to have taken care of the problem. Without question the "new" unit is cranking the engine much faster.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 PM

i have the same problem after my mechanic change the heads now i have problems hard to start i hear noise in the injectors some body can take a pictures of glow relays?
thanks
Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 PM

i change the glow realys still have the problem hard to start when start the engine sometimes white smoke ? what i need to check
Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi,
I have a 95 7.3 PSD that misfires when it's cold. After it warms up, it's smooth as you could ask for. I've read that bad injector O-rings and/or bad poppet valves will cause that.
I didn't work on diesels much but spent about 25 years as a mechanic, can you or someone tell me how to test this engine for injector O-ring problems or bad poppet valves or should I take it to a diesel shop and have it checked out? I replaced all the glow plugs, checked the relay, replaced the high pressure oil pump (leaked like a sieve), and replaced the fuel filter and gaskets, O-rings, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hard start at cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmayes View Post
I have a 2000 F250 7.3. About a month ago, the truck seemed slow to start and seemed to stumble slightly under power. Then it died under power when taking an Interstate exit. It restarted on the third to fourth try. Took it to a mechanic who found no error codes, and replaced the cam position sensor. He took it for a drive and it died again. He suggested it might be due to a near empty gas tank, though the low fuel indicator level had not been reached. I filled it up and it has run well under power since. Problem is, it continues to be hard to start cold, though the outside temperature hovers around 90 degrees. Took it to have the batteries checked and found one bad battery. Replaced the battery and it still is hard to start first thing in the morning. Turns over fast at first, then slow, then get nothing when the ignition is turned. Wait a moment and it starts up. I donít know where to go next. Bad starter? Bad fuel delivery. I assume glow plugs are not the issue due high outside temperature. Any help will be appreciated.
GB Mayes
I have a 94 F350 7.3 Diesel and we are having a problem with hard starting in the morning no matter what the temp outside. (Starts ok all day after first hard start in am).We pulled the rear tank today and then the sending unit. what we founf was the unit was ok and so was the float but the screen and what lookds to be the check valve so there is no back flow was gone and in the bottom of the tank. It crumbled in our hands as we tried to get it out of the bottom of the tank. Now the hard part is trying to find the parts we need. Some say that you can put a tube with a V cut in the end with some type of submesible check valve or inline filter but I guess we will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.